Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Pc vs new laptop

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
johan.degreef
1082 Views, 16 Replies

Old Pc vs new laptop

Hello,

We recently received new power laptops, (I will post the specs below, as well as the OLD desktop PC's). The reason for switching to laptops was to:

- Gain performance while working in large assemblies

- Show/modify and navigate throught models more easely in meetings

Now that inventor is installed and testing things out, it seems that assemblies open 4 to 5 times slower than on the old PC's. Both tested when opening from a network share. Same inventor version, same application options, etc.

Even when copying the project to the c:\ drive of the laptop it opens slower (not much but slower) than on the desktops. There must be something not set correctly. Can anyone suggest some?

CPU base clock is lower on the laptop, but it can boost to 5.3.

Many Thanks, Johan

old.JPGnew.JPG

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
leowarren34
in reply to: johan.degreef

Hi @johan.degreef,

On the network issue - How are the laptop and PC connecting to the network? If wired are they going through the same switch?

On the hardware side - What type of storage are each using - Hard Drive, SATA SSD, NVME SSD, etc? 

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 3 of 17
johan.degreef
in reply to: leowarren34

@leowarren34 wrote:

Hi @johan.degreef,

On the network issue - How are the laptop and PC connecting to the network? If wired are they going through the same switch?

On the hardware side - What type of storage are each using - Hard Drive, SATA SSD, NVME SSD, etc? 

Same switch

Both have SSD drives in them.

Message 4 of 17
mcgyvr

Laptops typically have their processors throttled down due to thermal issues related to laptop size.

I'd fully expect a "similarly" sized laptop to perform worse than a desktop. 

Even more so when I see that laptop marketed as "thinnest".. 

What "Power Plan" is selected on the laptops? Have you tried "High performance" vs "balanced"?

Have you tried running the "Inventor Benchmark" utility on both computers.. Do that and post the results (whole image showing all computer specs/result score) and we may be able to gleam where your performance is suffering based on that.. 

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=3667345248776204460&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 17
johan.degreef
in reply to: mcgyvr

It is set to HIGH performance power plan. I see no sign of the RTX3000 card in the benchmark test, altought latest drivers are installed.

New laptop

bench.JPG

Message 6 of 17

old PC

old_PC.JPG

Message 7 of 17
mcgyvr

Disable the Intel graphics in device manager. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 17
johan.degreef

@mcgyvr wrote:

Disable the Intel graphics in device manager. 

I disabled the Intel UHD graphics in device manager and rebooted the laptop.

Did the test again, it had the same graphics card information as before (the Intel one) and the same endresult number 10.91

bench.JPG

Message 9 of 17
mcgyvr

@johan.degreef  Did you check device manager? Did it renable itself?

Try going into the Nvidia control panel, I believe you can choose which card gets used for what application..

Message 10 of 17
mcgyvr

Did you also ensure you have the correct project file loaded? I know you mentioned application options but make sure project file is correct too.. 

Message 11 of 17
johan.degreef

NVIDIA control panel setting is set to Inventor

Yes correct project file is used

Message 12 of 17

What I don't understand at all, is that watching the tasks managers' performance on the new laptop, I see the CPU working at 3.8Ghz and more.

That's higher tnan the base clock of that old PC. and still open documents slower.

Message 13 of 17

@Neil_Cross 

Neil, could you share your thoughts on this? I read quiet a few articles on choosing the right laptops.

- Go for turbo clockspeeds as high as possible

- last generation >CPU

- HP zbook

and still it is opening assemblies slower than our 3yrs old desktops.

Message 14 of 17
Neil_Cross

No you've went for the absolute bang on perfect spec there, I've for the same CPU here in a laptop I'm currently reviewing:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 170611.jpg

It's blisteringly fast, so you've definitely got the right parts.  Why its running a bit slow can be due to all kinds of things, I've seen my own anti-virus (Bitdefender) reduce Inventor performance by up to 20%, you might not have the right HP profiling software installed which properly configures the performance profiles, you might have them installed but you might have the optimised or quiet profile enabled, and you're also running 4K which can inconsistently cause the entire application to run slower depending on a bunch of things that I don't really want to go into.  Try changing the resolution to 1920x1080 at 100% display scaling and see what you get.  It's impossible to know from this side if its due to something like that or performance profiles.

Message 15 of 17
johan.degreef
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Thank you Neil. honestly it is a relief to read that it was the rigth choice. So now I have to find the bottleneck. That's a task for monday.  Looking out for that review of yours. That HP profiling software you are talking about...? Mine came with pre installed performance software of HP, this is not the right one?

Message 16 of 17
Neil_Cross

I've no idea tbh I can't keep track of it all without actually having the laptops here, they change it every year.  You'll have to have a dig around it all and see if anything looks like a profile controlling application.

Message 17 of 17
johan.degreef
in reply to: Neil_Cross

It is a network issue, so we have to take care off first...

Thanks all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report