Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help modeling a hammer drill 'like' mechanisim

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
1366 Views, 21 Replies

Need help modeling a hammer drill 'like' mechanisim

Hi All,

I guess I'll start by saying that I've fairly new at inventor, so I sincerely apologize for my lack of familiarity with the program.

I've been trying to create a vibrating mechanism similar to what is done in hammer drills.

http://www.right-drill.com/images/HAMMER%20DRILL%20HAMMER%20MECHANISM.jpg

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to make evenly spaced splines that also have a chamfer (in order to reduce wear) - It is driving me crazy.

I need to make both a top and bottom (one rotates causing the other to move in a linear 'vibrating' motion).  Can anyone out there help?

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks

Jim

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
IgorMir
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jim,

Have a look at the attached part. It should give you some ideas...

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 22
IgorMir

Here is a different version of that part. It is a bit more stable and easier to set up for manufacturing if needs be.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: IgorMir

Igor, you are a scholar and a saint sir,

I owe you a big one.  It is probably a far too difficult explanation (if it is, that is ok) but would you be able to outline the general process you used to create this?  Only reason I ask is that I suspect I'll run into a similar situation again and if I can get just a general overview on how it was created (high level - a few bullet points) I might (big if) be able to figure it out; unless you don't mind me asking again in the future 🙂 <grin>

Thanks Again Igor.

Jim

Message 5 of 22
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... outline the general process you used to create this?  

There is better than an outline - the exact steps are preserved in the feature history tree.

The first step in learning Inventor is understanding and editing the history.

Start with Sketch1. 

Create it in a new file.

Proceed down the feature tree and ask questions about any step you don't understand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 22
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words, you are most welcome!

As Jeffrey said in his post - move End Of Part marker to the top of the tree and then slide it down one step at a time. Turn the sketch visibility ON, so you can see, how any particular feature was created. Take your time. There is no short cut in learning of anything, really. Should you run into a problem with anything in particular in Inventor - come back here. Everyone will be just too happy to help.

Best of luck!

Igor.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

Hi Igor!

I hope you are well (and still around Smiley Happy)

I am still having difficulties with building the mechanism (though I have built a few ugly ones) - I just can't get the sweep function to work properly.  I've attached my last attempt.  I should take pictures of one attempt that I 3D printed - I tried using a Chamfer when the sweep didn't work and it turned out way to sharp.

Here is basically what I am trying to do.

A hammer mechanism exactly like you made with the following changes

1) A cylinder 20 mm across and 13mm deep

2) On the bottom of the mechanism, a square extrusion 5.5 mm  x 5.5mm on center and 10mm deep  (this is the connection point to the motor)

Could I trouble you for a little more help Igor?  Please let me know if you have a Steam account (if you do, I can send you a few items to show  my gratitude)

Thanks

Jim

Message 8 of 22
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

I can't open your file - I use IV2010. If you could send me a screen shot of what you got - it would help me to better understand the question.

Thanks,

Igor.

Message 9 of 22
JDMather

First thing I notice is that Sketch1 is only a circle, but is not fully constrained.

When I dimension it - the dimension is perfect - what happened to your dimension?

Second thing I notice is that Sketch2 is not fully constrained, but when I dimension it - the dimension is perfect - what happened to your dimension?

Third thing I notice is that Sketch3 is not fully constrained, but when I dimension the angle - it is perfect - what happened to your dimension?

Notice a trend here?

Are you deleting dimensions? If so, why?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Honest, there was no deletion of dimensions happening here (at least purposely) - Though I do get what you mean.

I tried to upload a quick movie showing what I was doing but it is far to large a file (after encoding has been completed).  I will try and play with it tomorrow and see if I can get the file size down

Thanks

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Hi Igor,

I tried creating a video where I could show you what I doing but the size of the file was on the large side - I'll play with it tomorrow and hopefully I can show you the point where I am getting stuck - 

Thanks for your patience with this - I appreciate it.

Jim 

Message 12 of 22
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Igor,

I tried creating a video where I could show you what I doing but the size of the file was on the large side .... 

Try creating the video with Autodesk Screencast.

Message 13 of 22
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

I was thinking more in terms of JPEG images. A small sketch done in Paint should do.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Igor,

I tried creating a video where I could show you what I doing but the size of the file was on the large side - I'll play with it tomorrow and hopefully I can show you the point where I am getting stuck - 

Thanks for your patience with this - I appreciate it.

Jim 

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Hi JD,

Great advice with using screencast.. THANKS..

I originally tried using SnagIt video function and then compressing the AVI with Adobe Primere, I wasn't able to get a file size small enough that still gave a good enough Resolution to see numberings.

Here is the link: https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/c120105f-477b-45c6-92fe-2f789fdbac92

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Hi Igor,

Sorry, I became sidetracked with using Screencast - Great program

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/c120105f-477b-45c6-92fe-2f789fdbac92

I've also attached a 2D view, hopefully this helps explain this a bit.  I guess I should also mention that in the video, I chose a spline height of 0.10 at random as I wasn't sure how sweeping would affect the overall dimension?

I used inches for any listed dimension (was defaulted) - Here in Canada, we use both Metric and Imperial (which can cause a little confusion Smiley LOL )

Message 16 of 22
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

I have re-read your previous post - it seems to me like a pretty simple task. Unless I am missing something.

Here is an updated model, done in the way I understood your request.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 17 of 22
JDMather

In watching your Screencast recording I notice that Sketch Dimensions are never created.

This is antithesis of the very nature of correct technique in Inventor.

Somebody must have changed this setting - go to

Tools>Application Options>Sketch tab

Sketch Dimensions.PNG

It should bother you to no end that in the lower right corner of your screen Inventor reports that your sketches are underconstrained.

I recommend you read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

That was perfect Igor! thank you.. exactly what I was looking for.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you, I owe you one!  (now I just need to figure out how you did it.. <grin> )

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

Thanks JD - I sincerely appreciate the advice and have made the change.  I can also confirm that as of now, underconstrained sketches will bother me to no end Smiley Happy

Seriously though, I am largely self taught with using Inventor (by a combination of reading and copying examples out there) and advice like this is gold to me.  

Message 20 of 22
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

Glad to be of help, my pleasure.

In turn - you might as well put a good word for me to someone, who is looking for qualified people.

I have been out of work for more then a year.Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

That was perfect Igor! thank you.. exactly what I was looking for.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you, I owe you one!  (now I just need to figure out how you did it.. <grin> )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report