Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multilinguale IDW files for assembly instructions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
oransen
430 Views, 6 Replies

Multilinguale IDW files for assembly instructions

We'd like to have a single file which can optionally show text in any language (for example Polish or Spanish).

This would be almost easy in AutoCAD, one layer per language, and unfreeze the language we want to show.

But in Inventor IDW is it possible to somehow achieve this?

TIA

Owen Ransen

PS: As far as I can see there are no "real" layers like AutoCAD in IDW...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JelteDeJong
in reply to: oransen

Inventor has layers and its posible to turn them on or off.layer.png

Jelte de Jong
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Blog: hjalte.nl - github.com

Message 3 of 7
oransen
in reply to: JelteDeJong

Thanks for the screenshot. I've added a new layer to the IDW...but...

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a programmer and not a designer, how to I set "Spanish" layer of existing text?

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not 100% sure Inventor could fulfill what you are intended to do. Is the text a sketch text or the text in a sketch symbol? The way Inventor manage layer is different than AutoCAD. In AutoCAD, you can move any geometry from Layer1 to Layer2. But, Inventor goes by objects. Each object (sketch, drawing view, or  can be assigned to a different layer but the geometry within the object cannot be set to a different layer.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
oransen
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue, thanks for the reply, that was what I was afraid of.

Message 6 of 7
JelteDeJong

I did not see that your text is in a sketched symbol. But in that case you can make a sketched symbol for each language and switch them with some code like this iLogic rule.

Sub Main()
    Dim doc As DrawingDocument = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
    Dim sheet As Sheet = doc.ActiveSheet

Dim currentSymbol As SketchedSymbol = getSketchedSymbol(sheet, "SymbolWithSpanishText") 'sheet.SketchedSymbols.Item("SymbolWithSpanishText")
    Dim newSkecthedSymbolDefinition = doc.SketchedSymbolDefinitions.Item("SymbolWithPolishText")

sheet.SketchedSymbols.Add(newSkecthedSymbolDefinition, currentSymbol.Position)
    currentSymbol.Delete()

End Sub
Private Function getSketchedSymbol(sheet As Sheet, name As String) As SketchedSymbol
    For Each symbol As SketchedSymbol In sheet.SketchedSymbols
        If (symbol.Name.Equals(name)) Then
            Return symbol
        End If
    Next
    Return Nothing
End Function

Make sure that you insert point is on the same point point of the symbol or you text will move. (by default Inventor uses the midpoint as insert point wich is no good for this trick, but you can move that point)

Jelte de Jong
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Blog: hjalte.nl - github.com

Message 7 of 7
oransen
in reply to: JelteDeJong

@JelteDeJongthanks for that solution, I'll investigate to see if it is possible in our case...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report