Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving an Assembly and all its parts in windows explorer

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chris.barrie
240 Views, 6 Replies

Moving an Assembly and all its parts in windows explorer

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here to see if anyone knows a easy way to help with the below. 

I have a large GA assembly made up of smaller sub assemblies. 

I need to be able to move a couple of the sub assemblies folder locations from within windows explorer to a "common parts" folder, as I want to use them in a new design, but still keep them in my main GA (just change where they sit in windows). 

We are structured with one project file, under which I have a "common parts" folder, then individual customer project folders. I want to move the assembly file, and the parts within it, to the common folder. 

Pack and Go allows me to pack up all of the parts within an assembly, but takes a copy. What I need is kind of a "pack and move". 

We are not yet using Vault, and I wondered if this was possible without Vault. Just to save me having to manually move all of the parts in the assembly? 

Thanks in advance 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: chris.barrie

I guess you could try using the design assistant, though i've never tried "just" moving files in that way.
It might be worth a try.
Just open the assembly you want to move in the design assistant.
(or right-click on it from the Inventor open dialog and select the design assistant)
Go to the Manage section and click on the "File location" (probably says "workspace"), choose the folder you want the file to go to ("common parts") and once you've done that for all files that need to be moved, hit "save"...

Hope that works...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
IgorMir

If there are only a few files - then just move them where you want them to be. After that - open the prime assembly file and resolve the links. You can use DA for that too, but for a few files it is quicker to resolve the links. And, at times - a lot less cumbersome too.
Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 7
chris.barrie

Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a go. 

Message 5 of 7
blandb

Does this common parts folder sit at the same level as the ipj, Content Center and Design Data folders, or or does it sit inside the workspace?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 7
chris.barrie
in reply to: blandb

It sits in the same level as the .ipj

Message 7 of 7
blandb

Is there a reason you cannot have it in the workspace folder (same level as all your jobs) because then it will be in that search umbrella of the project file and you would not have to resolve any links?

If you keep it at the same level as ipj, every time you place a component from there you will get:

blandb_0-1664803572336.png

So you will need to "resolve" every time.

I mean, yes you can go and add the folder you have as a workgroup search path and it will find it, just curious as why not place it in the work space and just make a Frequently used subfolder for it for quick access?

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report