Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modified Extrusion

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
SteveFrey
318 Views, 11 Replies

Modified Extrusion

In this part it was extruded to 10" in length. Then it was cut on a 45 degree angle towards the end of the part. How do I adjust the part to show it's new length starting at the cut edge to the other end? Edited by: pourem1@aol.com on Oct 13, 2008 4:07 PM
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: SteveFrey

Can you post the part or an image or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
SteveFrey

I am having trouble attaching the image. It is not being recognized. Wierd.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 12
SteveFrey

here is a screen shot
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

can you send the part to me? my e-mail is
Na.MiaoATautodesk.com.

i'll take investigation on it.

Thank you

Maggic

Message 6 of 12
yichuan.xing

Hi,

I am not sure I got your mean or not. New length starting at the cut edge to the other end is not a driven dimension, it is a dimension will over constrain the sketch. If you want to show that dimension you can create it in the second exclude feature and show dimension.

Thanks,
Guy

Guy Xing
Quality Assurance Engineer
Inventor Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 12
JoyceZhou

Hi, Please take a look at the attached image, is the dimension "8.00" you want?

Thank you.
Joyce

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 8 of 12
dan_inv09

It looks like his cut is not at the end, just near it. Maybe it would help if he could provide some information about how the cut is made. I think he needs the actual overall length, 10" is just what he starts with and he needs to know how long it will be after trimming it.
Message 9 of 12
SteveFrey

I took an existing extrusion and mitered the end. It now should measure a shorter dimension. Is there a way to re define the part to measure the new length?
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 10 of 12
dan_inv09

You would need to define your "length" based on the miter rather than the initial extrusion. I assume you are using it for a parameter driven iProperty such as Stock Number. It does not automatically know what the final dimension is. I don't know if it is possible to do that, even a dimension on a drawing will not find the end on it's own if you add a feature that changes the end.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

I am assuming you are wanting the finished length in the parts list?

If so, there is a really easy way to do this. Rename your original length dimension (the 10.000 dim) to another name (I'd suggest just appending something to the end of the name like "_1" or "_UNCUT"). Then on the extrusion sketch that you used to make the cut, add a dimension that goes from the tip of the mitre to the other end. Name this dim the "correct" length name that your parts list is expecting.

If you are trying to drive the uncut length from the cut length, this is slightly more complicated and is probably easiest done with trig (assuming you first drew the square profile and extruded on extrusion 1).
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I am assuming you are wanting the finished length in the parts list?

If so, there is a really easy way to do this. Rename your original length dimension (the 10.000 dim) to another name (I'd suggest just appending something to the end of the name like "_1" or "_UNCUT"). Then on the extrusion sketch that you used to make the cut, add a dimension that goes from the tip of the mitre to the other end. Name this dim the "correct" length name that your parts list is expecting.

If you are trying to drive the uncut length from the cut length, this is slightly more complicated and is probably easiest done with trig (assuming you first drew the square profile and extruded on extrusion 1).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report