Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure the distance between a cylinder face and a flat face

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1054 Views, 6 Replies

Measure the distance between a cylinder face and a flat face

I created a cam roller that is mounted to a flat plate.  I want to know how far the surface of the roller is from the closest edge of the part it is mounted to.  When I try to measure it and select the cylinder surface and the flat surface, I do not get the correct length.  Can I change what is measured to see what I want?  I would prefer not to have to create any extra geometry.

Thanks!

2017-01-30 07_02_21-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2016 - [B06-0245-010.iam].png

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
asiteur
in reply to: Anonymous

I must say that you could have provided a clearer picture, but from what I see it would be sufficient to measure the distance between the edges. Hence clicking on the circle edge first and then on the straight edge. It will then show a blue line from edge to edge.

If the edges are not in the same plane, watch the Delta X, Y, Z in the measurement window.

If your measurement task is more complicated than this, you probably need to create workplanes before you can measure.

Hope this helps!

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

Just take 2 measurements (X and Y) and subtract to get your distance (Z).. 

Or place a view in a drawing and just dimension to get the Z

measureit.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
admaiora

Hi Ronald,

at the moment you can do this.

Here an idea to improve the tool (i want this too.)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/multi-measures-and-calculator-tool/idi-p/5124776

qw.gif

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 7
admaiora
in reply to: admaiora

Ops.

I didn't  see the @mcgyvr answer.  Smiley Embarassed

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: asiteur

Unfortunately, when I pick the edges is just gives me the shortest distance between them.  I am looking for something different.  Thanks for the help though.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

It sounds like I have to create geometry or do extra steps to get what I want.  Not the answer I had hoped for.

The image below is what I was used to and had hoped I could do something similar.  You thought the last picture looked bad, sorry in advance.  Basically, when I pick the two faces, I am given the option to chose center points or surfaces.  It defaults to surfaces, so the operation takes three clicks and I never leave my work flow. The dx in this case is what I am looking for.

Thanks @asiteur@mcgyvr and @admaiora for the tips and suggestions.  They are all work arounds.  I am going to upvote the idea.

2017-01-30 10_01_41-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2015 x64 Edition - [Part1 _].png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report