Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matching Threads

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
658 Views, 16 Replies

Matching Threads

Hello,
I am a freshman in a high school women’s engineering academy where we are currently completing year long projects. My partner and I are trying to 3D print a model of a bottle cap that we have designed where a screw like piece twists into the whole of the the cap. However, we present this week and still have not been able to print a successful cap because the pieces do not fit together because of the threads in the hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are way behind and struggling as young engineers.
Thank you
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Anonymous

First, Welcome!

Is it possible to post the file(s)?

I'm assuming you have the bottle cap and the bottle it needs to go onto, correct?

I am also going to assume the obvious that the thread designations on the bottle and the cap are the same, correct?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I am not able to post the file at this moment. But, we were not able to directly connect the cap to the bottle, we are simply trying to make the pieces of the cap that screw together. So, the bottom piece of the cap has a hole, like a nut, and the top piece of the cap has an extrusion with threads, like a screw. But, we cannot get the pieces to match as we have no experience with designing thread so on inventor.
Thank you
Message 4 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymouswrote:
I am not able to post the file at this moment. 

When you are able to Attach the files it will be possible to provide step-by-step instructions. You will become familiar with the Coil command.

Bottle Cap Threads.PNG

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

We are using the thread modeler program but we don’t know what size to make the parts so that they fit together once the threads are attached.
Message 6 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

I assume you are referring to CoolOrange thread modeler.

I would not use that for bottle threads.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

We are not using threads to connect the cap to the bottle, and we do not have time to learn to model the threads on our own. We are only trying to create a threaded hole and a screw part that connect, but are unable to get them to line up.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Here’s a picture of a model that we printed.
Message 9 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

No, not at this time. He’s just as new to the subject and doesn’t know how to help.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

We really need help in completing this project as we are very quickly running out of time and are unable to complete it on our own!!

Message 12 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

Can you Attach your file(s) here?

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Here is the file. 

Message 14 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

stl files are only for 3D printing.

You will need to attach your *.ipt files to get assistance.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Our flash drive is in the printer producing more models, if these do not work I will get it and send the ipt files. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

looks to me based off this picture that the threads might not be whats causing the issue. Threads, especially ones so small, are a very precise thing and small errors can cause things to bind and not connect correctly. You might try taking the one with a hole to your woods teacher and ask for help to use a very thin band saw and cut it in halves. Then lay the top part inside and look to see where the issue is. This would let you know if it is a design issue or if its a issue with trying to 3D print these parts and the inherent error/Roughness of 3D printed parts.

this would also help you see if it is the thread, if its the major,minor, or pitch diameter of the thread that's off, or the pitch itself. 

Message 17 of 17
Frederick_Law

Simply put, everything in the cap need to be a bit bigger then the bottle.  The thread need clearance to slide together.  You can't fit a 5mm pin into a 5mm hole.

Next problem is the 3D printer.  They don't produce 100% in dimension.  A 5mm pin maybe bigger or smaller.  You need to measure and adjust your model so it'll work.  It'll take some trial and error.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report