Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manually set mass for each model state

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
clutsa
418 Views, 6 Replies

manually set mass for each model state

I have an .ipt with several model states to represent a purchased component family. They're different sized cabinets with different "guts". I'm only trying to represent the externals (for now) and don't want to spend the time modeling the internal components. The calculated mass is off because of the missing internal components. I would like to manually override the mass for each model state, but the mass override isn't part of the model state spreadsheet.

I've thought about turning this into an iPart factory (don't know yet if that would work any better), but was hoping to stick with model states because for me they work better when automating our product line. The only other thought I've had is to model a block in the cabinet and change it's size to force the calculated mass to the actual mass. 

Does anyone know a way to have different mass overrides for each model state? 

INV Pro 2024

If I've helped you, please help me by supporting this idea.
Mass Override for Each Model State
Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Frederick_Law
in reply to: clutsa

A long way.

Create material with different density that give you correct mass.

Message 3 of 7
clutsa
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Thanks for the idea but I'm going to hard pass on that. Some of the cabinets are the same size but different weights. 56 lbs. and 197 lbs. in the same size cabinet. I'd have to have a custom material for each part number... I'd rather spend the time perfectly modeling the interiors😋 at least that would add value to the model. 

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Another quick way to do that is to create a custom iProperty, replacing the physical iProperty mass. When you need to show the mass, make sure you reference the custom iProperty, not the iProperty mass.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
clutsa
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Would that still calculate the correct mass for an assembly that contains my part?

Message 6 of 7
Frederick_Law

No.

Message 7 of 7
clutsa

I submitted an idea at the link below.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/mass-override-for-each-model-state/idi-p/12228420

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report