Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making complex shapes that adapt to parametric inputs

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Mr_Intellyless
282 Views, 3 Replies

Making complex shapes that adapt to parametric inputs

Hi everyone,

To start of this question/topic I have to announce that I am pro-LGBTQIA2S+. Why is this important? I hear you ask. Because I want to make a 3D representation of someone's gender. Only I'm struggling to find the "Right" way to do that. I want it to look like a transparent cube with in it a "blob" that is representative of someone's gender. This "blob" is spread over the 3 axis's where each axis represents one part of someone's gender. these parts are the natal gender (Gender assigned at birth), experienced gender, and expressed gender. These 3 forms of gender (Recognized/described in the DSM-5) can range between masculine and feminine.

I've thought about multiple possible ways to do this but non so far are very versatile and adaptive or are very data heavy. The latter isn't much of a problem but it'd be nice if it wasn't very large to make it work smoothly. One of these methods could be a grid of circles (all individually revolved) that get larger/smaller or suppress/unsuppress depending on certain parameter values. This is one of the more versatile ones I could come up with however it is also the most data intensive. 

A problem occurs when someone identifies with 2 or more genders, or non at all, and people who identify themselves with a form of gender that does not fit within the male/female binary spectrum (non-binary and agender people).

So what do you think I should try? I work with Inventor 2024, and my knowledge of Inventor is in general okay, although I might not be as good with the more advanced features/methods.

Thanks for thinking with me!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi! Your question is indeed interesting. Taking the application aside, organic shapes in general are not what Inventor is good at. It is because Inventor is meant to create precise model and each point on the model has to be measurable. An organic shape may not require such precision. I think you will need to simplify the model so that there isn't too much detail to manage.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4

Hey again,

I have thought a little about it and although I like it to look like an organic shape it actually will not be an organic shape, because it actually needs the be very calculated for it to be able to change with parametric inputs. (I do not fancy drawing maybe hundreds if not more organic shapes by hand, especially with Inventor because I know that it is hard to do). So that's why I hope to get a few ideas before I dive too deep into something that does not work. So if it looks (somewhat) organic it'll be good enough for all purposes intended. 

Message 4 of 4

Hi! Inventor does support workflow that adapts to a sketch, a face, or a whole body. It is called Adaptive. To adapt to a body, you need to use Copy Object command while editing a part in place in the context of an assembly. After the body from another part is linked over to the editing part, you may use the linked geometry to create the model. When the source geometry changes, the linked geometry will update accordingly.

Please feel free to share an example here. The forum experts can take a look and comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report