Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make an assembly independant from part's files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lamp1204
200 Views, 3 Replies

Make an assembly independant from part's files

Hi, I created an assembly with parts I modeled myself (maybe 20-30 parts). Now that my assembly is completed, I was looking to be able to share it to work colleagues without requiring to send all the part files as reference to it. Is there any solution to that? Extra: If possible I would like them to be able to move parts within my assembly or to be able to see every items in my assembly. Thank you a lot in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: lamp1204

An assembly is a collection of parts, so if you want a work colleague to be able to have the same 'experience' (move parts - see everything etc) then you are going to have to share everything.  Could they open the model from a shared drive location?  That way, you don't have to send them anything.

If you want to give them one file that contains everything in your assembly, then you'll have to compromise on their experience.  If you create a new file, derive in your assembly, break the link (so it no longer references your assembly) - then you can send them that part file alone.  They won't (easily) be able to move things, but they will be able to see everything.

If you want your colleague to be able to review your design, could you use "Shared Views"?  (See Collaborate > Shared Views)

Peter
Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess you are looking for a way to wrap all parts as internal components. Inventor does not support such workflow. Each part definition is a unique ipt file, referenced by an assembly iam file. However, there is a way to do that if the geometric reference is required. You can simply export the assembly as a STEP file. Then your colleagues can import it associatively to their assembly or import to a brand new iam file. All the part geometry, definitions, and structure will be preserved without having to manage the individual ipt files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
SBix26

Zip it into one file and send it.  You would essentially be sending them a folder instead of a file, but no more difficult to deal with.  Even better, use Pack and Go to zip it up (but exclude Design Data and templates!) since this will also include a project file (.ipj) that can be activated by the receiving user.

Hope this helps,

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report