Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions on joining parts

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Ed.Jobe
290 Views, 4 Replies

Looking for suggestions on joining parts

Hi, I hope this isn't too much of a burden on anyone. I'm just getting started with Inventor and I'm having trouble mating parts to the pole in this assembly.poletop1.pngI want the crossarm and bracket to mate to the surface of the pole, which is tapered. I know how to set up an iMate, but I don't think it will work on the pole because many parts could be placed in different positions. This is a very simple configuration. Typically, there will be more parts added. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for setting up a system that works. I'm just getting started and want get off on the right track. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

@Ed.Jobe

More information about your design intent would help a lot, but just from your picture...

It looks like you want the cross bar at a certain distance from the axis of the pole, and from the top of the pole.  Since the pole is tapered, you could use work (or origin) features to accomplish this.  Example, the origin axis of the pole to an origin or work plane on the cross bar.  The dimension of these constraints could then be controlled as a parameter, or in an iAssembly,... or even with ilogic.  (I wouldn't go there until you have the basics down though).  Look at (if you haven't already) some tutorials on basic assembly techniques and practice with an assembly that you can trash if necessary.

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr

tangent constraint along with mates of the origin planes,etc..

With the tangent the bracket will slide right up and down the taper just fine..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

More information about your design intent would help a lot, but just from your picture...

Hi Chris, the intent it just to model a pole configuration for construction purposes, BOM, etc. I wanted to design the parts so that I could quickly assemble the parts without applying a lot of constraints. For example, I created an iMate for the insulator and the standoff bracket that works well.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Ed.Jobe,

I'd use a construction surface in the horizontal part. Then an insert constraint between the base of the surface and the base of the pole, and a mate between origin planes of those two parts. Once assembled, you can turn off the visibility of the construction surface in the horizontal part.

See attached 2015 files.

Work Surface.GIF

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report