Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Load times Thread data

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
Anonymous
14427 Views, 48 Replies

Long Load times Thread data

Why does it take so long to load the thread data?

You can see in the screen cast that the ANSI Unified loaded up quickly because I had already loaded it. But choosing the ANSI Metric took much longer to load because it hadn't already been loaded. This happens ever time I start up Inventor 2016. It was not like this in 2015.

Thanks.

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't have those problems at all.. (all mine load in approx 2 seconds)

Anything special you are doing? Do you have excel installed? if so which version?

Operating system? (windows 10 maybe?)

Is the threads xls file on a network?

Have you messed with the default thread excel file in anyway?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Excel 2013 is installed.

Windows 10.

The excel file is located on a network drive (the same place it was located for 2015) so that all our users can access the threads from the same location.

Messed with the file? Maybe. I may have tried adding a Straight pipe thread at one point, but it didn't work and I gave up. After that messing around, everything still worked fine in 2015 (Windows 7). We upgraded to Windows 10 and Inventor 2016 around the same time.

I think I should just start attributing all of my weird glitches to Windows 10... it seems to be a theme.

Message 4 of 49
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Excel 2013 is installed.

Windows 10.

The excel file is located on a network drive (the same place it was located for 2015) so that all our users can access the threads from the same location.

Messed with the file? Maybe. I may have tried adding a Straight pipe thread at one point, but it didn't work and I gave up. After that messing around, everything still worked fine in 2015 (Windows 7). We upgraded to Windows 10 and Inventor 2016 around the same time.

I think I should just start attributing all of my weird glitches to Windows 10... it seems to be a theme.

Well Windows 10 isn't officially supported still... so... maybe a problem

First...

Are other users having the same problem as you? (and are they on Win10 too)

and have you installed all updates for 2016?

Then

Have you opened excel since install of Win10?

Have you tried to repair Inventor?

Can you try to replace your existing excel thread file with another (unmodified) one and see if that matters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

This issue is affecting all of our users.

I've done some experimenting but nothing has worked.

Originally, our thread.xls had not been saved since 2013 (unmodified) and was being opened by our version of Excel in [compatibility mode]. I thought that that might have had something to do with it and tried to save it as the current version of excel which is thread.xlsx. Inventor will not search recognize the xlsx file as the proper location of the threads, only thread.xls. This screencast shows some funny behavior as Inventor tries to access the sheet. The date modified date switches back and forth between the 2013 date and today. http://autode.sk/1LQG11w

I then started thinking that this was a slow connection issue between our server and work stations because I noticed that opening a Standard.ipt for the first time took around the same time as the threads to load for the first time. Our templates and thread data are in the same location. So I went back and opened up Inventor 2015. There is little to no delay for the threads in Inventor 2015.

We have the latest update of Inventor 2016 (update 2). 

Message 6 of 49
Paul-Mason

I've notice this recently after reinstalling on to a new machine, not just when placing/creating a new thread, but if/when I edit an exciting thread However this may be due to a least two factors 1) I edited the tread.xls to add to and reorder thred data in the file 2) The MY DOCUMENTS where i store my IV files in not om my C drive.

==============
Inventor 2025 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 7 of 49
Daniel248

Same (very slow thread data loading) behaviour here.

Windows 7 /64 Ultimate. Excel 2013.

Inventor 2016 Pro.

All files local.

No solution found yet.

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: Daniel248

I have the same issue with win7-64 and EXCEL 2013. I also have to wait for eons when starting Inventor. Never had that problem before 2016. Maybe an issue with having a network license running on my server. However the thread file is local

Message 9 of 49
Anonymous

Hi, I solve the issue with this:

• Go to Control Panel > System> Advanced System Settings> System Properties, Advanced Tab.
  • Create a new Environmental variable called "UseLibXL" with a variable value of 1
  • Restart Inventor
Message 10 of 49
LT.Rusty

I've got the same issues.  Inventor 2016, currently using Windows 10 but it was a problem with 7 as well.  Office Pro Plus 2013.  Everything installed local, nothing on networks.  Same issues on 2 different workstations, I'm the only user in both cases.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 49
SharkDesign

Same issue, on both Inventor 2016 and 2017.

Runs fine until you go into the thread XLS and change the order, then it takes ages each time to load.

We only use metric so having ANSI as sort-1 is no use to us.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 12 of 49
smokes2998
in reply to: SharkDesign

The  threads.xls  file does not work quickly when shared over a network as,

it has to check if another user has it open then create a temp copy to read write from then check if any edits are made then save the file even if no edits are made then delete the temp copy.

When you are swapping standards it is tabbing through the sheets, via a VBA macro. It can be slow.

It is a really cheap and nasty way to create and manage thread standards, Rather than put it in a data base and do SQL pulls.

PS  watch the Tapped Drill diameter and depths there as there is no setup in the sheets to look up thread depth and match the correct tapped hole diameter and depth.

The best solution would be to put the thread Xls file in the vault and download it to the local drive and get inventor to read of the local drive.

if you set user priveleges to the thread.xls file via the vault it will stop users hacking the file up.

Message 13 of 49
LT.Rusty

I'm getting better performance in 2017 than on 2016 for this.  There's a definite improvement somewhere, for me at least.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 49
Anonymous

Thank you very much! It solved my problem with slow loading of tapped holes!!!
Message 15 of 49
Ray_Feiler

Same very slow thread data loading behavior.
Windows 7 /64 Enterprise. Excel 2010
Inventor 2016 Pro
All files local.

But,

Hi, I solve the issue with this:
• Go to Control Panel > System> Advanced System Settings> System Properties, Advanced Tab.
• Create a new Environmental variable called "UseLibXL" with a variable value of 1
• Restart Inventor

Seems to have fixed it so thank you jfozzie Smiley Wink

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 16 of 49
Anonymous

I just checked on this and I am definitely seeing improved results... No waiting at all. I'll give it a month or so and then come back and mark your answer as the solution if I indeed continue to no longer have problems. Thank you so much!!

Message 17 of 49
dlandisadaptek

Worked perfectly.  Hope it stays that way.

Thread and Clearance data load times went literally from 3-5 minutes, watching a "downloading data" dialog box pop up multiple times, to only 1-2 seconds.  It was always slow the first time but painfully so after the Win10 upgrade we just did a week ago.

Thanks.

Message 18 of 49
Anonymous

HI all,

I have the same problem as described here, but where can i find this "control panel"?

Message 19 of 49
dlandisadaptek

It's the Windows 10 control panel.

Click the Start button and type "Control Panel" without the quotes.

Message 20 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: dlandisadaptek

Thanks, really appreciated 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report