Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Load times Thread data

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
Anonymous
14796 Views, 48 Replies

Long Load times Thread data

Why does it take so long to load the thread data?

You can see in the screen cast that the ANSI Unified loaded up quickly because I had already loaded it. But choosing the ANSI Metric took much longer to load because it hadn't already been loaded. This happens ever time I start up Inventor 2016. It was not like this in 2015.

Thanks.

48 REPLIES 48
Message 21 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks a lot!

I was having the same pesky issue.

Created the variable as you suggested and the problem is now gone.

All threads load within 2 seconds.

Message 22 of 49
Anonymous

For anyone still following this post; I talked with some Inventor developers awhile back and I just forgot to post their answer.

But basically they said that this problem occurs because our company is utilizing Microsoft Office 2013 or newer. The environment variable basically tells Inventor to use an older version of Excel... I don't know how it all works, but there ya go.

Message 23 of 49
SharkDesign

The system variable method works for me too. Took me a while to find the windows options. 

For Windows 7 if anyone else is struggling:

control.PNG

system.PNG

advanced.PNG

system var.PNG

new env var.PNG

variable.PNG 

Then restart Inventor!

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 24 of 49
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

But basically they said that this problem occurs because our company is utilizing Microsoft Office 2013 or newer. The environment variable basically tells Inventor to use an older version of Excel... I don't know how it all works, but there ya go.

For what its worth.. I have Excel 2007 and just tried the environmental variable..

I was waiting approx 10 seconds for clearance options to come up..

Now after setting the variable its almost instant.. 

So it seems like it effects more than just 2013 and newer... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 25 of 49
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: mcgyvr

This variable was designed for those who didn't have excel installed on a given Inventor version (thinking it was Inventor 2016).  I don't have time to test right now but if you applied this variable..   Does it impact iParts and iAssembly (editing the authoring table)..  Just wondering..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 26 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I just edited an iPart this morning using Excel and it opened 2013. So it doesn't look like the environment variable affects iParts from what I can tell... Still not very sure about any of this though.

Message 27 of 49
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Well the real test it just to edit the iPart table the normal way and not edit it through Excel.. 

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 28 of 49
Anonymous

Interesting. I don't use iParts with the normal table. I pretty much always go through Excel. I agree though, that is the real test.

Message 29 of 49
mcgyvr

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

This variable was designed for those who didn't have excel installed on a given Inventor version (thinking it was Inventor 2016).  I don't have time to test right now but if you applied this variable..   Does it impact iParts and iAssembly (editing the authoring table)..  Just wondering..

@Mark.Lancaster Nope.. From the quick test I just did the creation of iparts/iassemblies is unaffected and still work just fine..

Its still opening the excel table data too for clearance/threaded holes.. (as test changes I made to it carry through when Inventor is restarted). Its just doing it "faster" through their "magic".. 

When I first read about that I assumed it was using some internal table and not actually utilizing the excel files anymore.. But it is.. 

So that env variable is beneficial to everyone.. not just those without Excel installed..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 30 of 49
karthur1

@mcgyvr wrote:

So that env variable is beneficial to everyone.. not just those without Excel installed..

Don't get too excited about the UseLibXL environment variable.

I added this and it does seem to speed things up.  The only drawback that I have found and it is a show stopper for me.  Some of my parts have embedded excel sheets.

2017-03-02_0909.png

When I edit these, I get an error when I jump back to inventor.  Smiley Sad

Embeded.png

So for me, I have to remove it and go back to the long wait times when I first use a threaded hole.  Wish AD would just fix this.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 31 of 49
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

Don't get too excited about the UseLibXL environment variable.

I added this and it does seem to speed things up.  The only drawback that I have found and it is a show stopper for me.  Some of my parts have embedded excel sheets.

Luckily I don't use embedded excel sheets so I'm good to go..

I would like to see Autodesk address this a bit more.. The env variable speed improvement is very nice.. but the limitations as you have found negate using that obviously..

It seems that they were doing stuff to attempt to address these issues but maybe thats gone silent now in favor of other fixes.. 

Message 32 of 49
Anonymous

Great solution! This worked fine Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 49
Anonymous

IV2017 Pro user, we noticed a slow down of the thread.xls file when going to 2017.  I tried the environmental variable creation as suggested and the thread spreadsheet would load faster but it made weird things happen with some iparts we have created such as appending part numbers with multiple zeros.  I guess we will have to live with slower performance.

Message 34 of 49
Anonymous

I see in thread that some might struggle a bit to find out where to add the Environment Variable UseLibXL. A Visual guide is added by jameswillo here and an alternative to that is to open up CMD (Command Prompt) and type Setx UseLibXL 1. 

Message 35 of 49
bshbsh

We have this problem too since we switched from 2014 to 2017. It's extreme - sometimes close to 1 minute initial wait to work on any kind of hole feature. The environment variable renders iparts unusable so it's not a solution.

Great work Autodesk.

Message 36 of 49
mcgyvr
in reply to: bshbsh

@bshbsh wrote:

We have this problem too since we switched from 2014 to 2017. It's extreme - sometimes close to 1 minute initial wait to work on any kind of hole feature. The environment variable renders iparts unusable so it's not a solution.

Great work Autodesk.

@bshbsh Whats not working with iparts for you?

What specific version of Excel do you have?

I have that environment variable set and use iparts all the time without issue... 

Message 37 of 49
Alexrose1942

same here.

minutes of loading time (wasted a day just waiting) for each ipart edit 😞 tried anything suggested here.

Inventor 2015

office 2013

Message 38 of 49
Anonymous

Thanks, Works for me. Win 10 Pro Inventor 2018 Office 2016.

Message 39 of 49
SharkDesign

They're reportedly FINALLY fixed this issue in 2018.1 Build 171.

Update went live today on my Autodesk Desktop app.

Please note as stated in the readme that you should remove the UseLibXL fix after doing this update. 

Follow the previous steps above and just delete the UseLibXL variable. 

Details on the fix are here:

http://up.autodesk.com/2018/INVNTOR/Inventor_2018.1_enu.htm

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 40 of 49
sergio.missori

I noticed the same issue on some of our worksation using Inventor 2016 and MS Office 2013. Not same problem with Office 2010.

The solution works well. The only drawback is that the embedded spreadheet stops working. Ifo your parts do not use embedded Excel spreadsheets then it is a solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report