Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking dimensions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bsubotic
551 Views, 8 Replies

Linking dimensions

I have iAssembly with 10 instances; the assembly consist of 1 part file and 2 ipart files. Difference of each of the iparts is the length of the instances. I have a drawing with table that correlates two iparts to each other. I want to add reference dimensions for both of the iparts and have them in the drawing table so that we can verify if production has match those 2 iparts as per drawing. I have tried adding dimension in iassembly and linking it to dimension in ipart but it does not work the way i was hoping. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bsubotic

Hi! Try this and see if it works for you. You can go to the iPart/iAssembly factory and go to Parameters table. Check "Export" flags for those driven dimensions. These dimensions will become custom iProperties. You can include them in a PartsList. The tricky thing is how these properties propagate from factory to member files. It may not be as straight forward as it seems.

Please share an example here so forum experts can take a look and comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9
bsubotic
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi johnsonshiue, i have tried your suggestion but it didn't work i am attaching example.

thank you

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not 100% sure about your requirements. But, based on my understanding it is doable. Please take a look at attached drawing. Is this what you were looking for?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
bsubotic

Yes that is what i want i was able to add new property (DIM_A & DIM_B) for the part list but i have no clue how did you get it to show up in Part1 table and Part2 table?

thank you

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! You are looking for Configuration table (Part1 and Part2 Tables). You need to use General Table command and select an iPart or iAssembly factory.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
bsubotic

Sorry to bother you but i can't select an iPart or iAssembly factory it is grayed out!?

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! You probably don't want to select the view. The view is based on a member, I assume. You should simply select the factory file. It should work.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
bsubotic

Got it working, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report