Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of Detail being a PITA when changing lower level assemblies

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
586 Views, 8 Replies

Level of Detail being a PITA when changing lower level assemblies

I have a top level assembly of a large machine, which has a level of detail in it, although at present it is set at 'Master'.

I need to make a series of adjustments to the constraints in a lower level assembly (it's actually a conveyor belt troughing set, and I am adjusting the angle of wing rollers to suit a 'transition'). However, I am finding that I can only change one constraint at a time. I change one constraint, and all is fine. If I attempt to change or delete a second constraint, I get the message:

cannot be saved because a different Level of Detail representation is being edited. You must save (or close) that one before you can edit this one

Hence what I have been doing is changing one constraint, saving, switching to the top-level assembly, updating, saving, going back to the sub-assembly, changing one more constraint, saving, switching to the top-level assembly, updating, saving...

You get the idea! Clearly this is a slow, laborious, and tedious way to work.

Surely there are better options? Can anyone help. please.

TIA.

Using Inventor 2008, by the way.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhagarty
in reply to: Anonymous

I go through this all the time. Seems to be worse once you start working a drawing where you have multiple LODs on different views/sheets. Once it happens, I usually can't get the error to go away and end up closing everything, reopening, and starting over.

Jim
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I dont have this problem unless the drawings are open, and then intermittantly. ( although i have very few constraints. 99% of my stuff is controlled by the master.

can you post the data for us to play with ?
Message 4 of 9
Xiangdong.Sun

When you happen to this alert dialog next time, I think you can save all, close and re-open all documents.
Thanks
Joel
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Can't really post the data, but thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me!

Very disappointing, anyway. Yes, I have the drawing open, but, dammit, I need it open!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I ran into the same exact issue, it was so bad that I ended up deleting all the levels of details because I also have to work with the drawing open, and it was becoming so time consuming that I ended up doing everything without the LODs. I've been trying ever since to figure out a way around it, but have yet to come to a good solution.
Message 7 of 9
swalton

I tend to make one LOD that hides all the internal stuff in each iam. I nest these LODs as i build my upper level assemblies. When I get to the idw, I use this single LOD and I make design views to control component visibility in the different idw views. I also use the different design views when I am making exploded views in the ipn file.

I don't see the "different LOD" issue with this work flow because I am only using 1 LOD in the idw and in the iam file.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

Swalton, your post was very helpful for me. thank you.  I was using different view reps and LOD's into ipn's and then into idw's. I now realize I only need the view reps into the drawing views in my "step by step" assembly.

but I have 2 questions, 

-Are there ever any scenarios where one would need to use LODs in drawing views instead of view reps?

-Is there any way to make the ipn update if one part was forgot to delete or I forgot to check 'associative'?

Message 9 of 9
swalton

Terje,

@Anonymous wrote:

Swalton, your post was very helpful for me. thank you.  I was using different view reps and LOD's into ipn's and then into idw's. I now realize I only need the view reps into the drawing views in my "step by step" assembly.

but I have 2 questions, 

-Are there ever any scenarios where one would need to use LODs in drawing views instead of view reps?

-Is there any way to make the ipn update if one part was forgot to delete or I forgot to check 'associative'?

I might use a LOD for a layout drawing of a large assembly.  In my case, I created an iam of a train.  I used substitute LODs for each of the rail cars and made my drawing of the entire train with that LOD.  That seemed to help, at the cost of creating/maintaining the substitute LODs.  I don't use LODs for the individual car prints, because those prints need the detailed information from the Master LOD. 

IV 2016 has improvements to the ipns.  It looks like you can change your Design Reps after creating the ipn.  See :http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-CF5A0B4D-2370-46F2-98E0-21B273E3D90E

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report