Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenght change after deep Rolling - Crankshaft

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
495 Views, 11 Replies

Lenght change after deep Rolling - Crankshaft

Dear All,

I am working on a process for crankshaft manufacturing. One operation is called Deep Rolling, where we use high force in the undercuts of each main and pin bearing. After this operation the crankshaft will be 0,3 - 0,4 mm longer.

I am using "derive" for every operation (OP10 - 20 - 30....), so every OP has its own 3D model. 

Is there any option to "create" this kind of modification on the crankshaft? (every bearing width will be different and the whole crankshaft will be longer)

Thank you for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Thomas_Savage
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous 

iParts or iAssembly could work to create different sizes of the model.

iLogic is also another way. This is more advanced, so depending on your knowledge of inventor.

Hope this helps.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 3 of 12

When creating a part , you can set a parameter using the F(x) menu.

You can set this parameter (on the specific part that is lengthening)  to "mutli value" and enter all the desired lengths .
Then you can select the disered length and the part will adapt accordingly . You can then create an assembly and constrain everything.

Hope I made myself clear,

There are more complex ways to make it work, but I don't have the time atm.

Best regards,

FINET L.

If this post solved your question, please kindly mark it as "Solution"

If this post helped out in any way to solve your question, please drop a "Like"

@LinkedIn     @JohnCockerill

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

Hello All,

Thank you for your help!

What do you think about this solution:

Create e.x.: operation 30, where I mill the width of the bearings. I make an IPart out of Op30, and then a Derive the model, and create the next Opeartion. Can I change the width now in the new derived model?

I made an example, and I can see all of the parameters in the "Derived Part" Window, but I can not change the parameters with the F(x) command.

is there a possibility to "open" the parameters in the new derived model?

Message 5 of 12
Thomas_Savage

Hello @Anonymous 

Could you attach your model please?

Thanks,

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

I created the model "alap", I made it to an IPart, then a used it to create with "derive" the next part: ALAP_DERIVE,

Now I want to change the parameter "VAS" in the ALAP_DERIVE Model.

Message 7 of 12
FINET_Laurent

I've tried a bit and i can't find a solution. "Derive" may not be the best way to accomplish what you are looking for. If I understand correctly, your goal is to have one model.iam  for each operation ? (Ex : If 30 operations, 30 models)

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: FINET_Laurent

Yes, 

I can start with a Raw Part model which is created by a Designer

first Operation is to mill the both ends of the crankshaft -> I derive the Raw Part and make the Milling

next is a Turning Machine - derive Op10 - remove material

next Op20 .......

In Op60 (deep Rolling) -> derive OP50 -> and change the whole lenght of the crankshaft which was created in OP10

Derive is a good option, because If I change something f.e.: in Op20, than every next operation is automatically updted and also the tons of 2d Drawings.

Message 9 of 12
FINET_Laurent

I've looked a bit on previous threads. This might help :

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/derived-part-with-editable-parameters/td-p/574609

Message 10 of 12
mikejones
in reply to: FINET_Laurent

Have you tried using Direct Edit on the derived model to stretch out each bearing face? That may give you what you need if each it is only the bearing faces that need modifying. The overall length of the crankshaft would increase by the sum of the individual bearing face stretches.

Mike.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mikejones

It is a possibiliy, but f.e.: I have at the very end of the crankshaft I have a center holes, so it is not true that only the outher surface of crankshaft will be "longer" it has also an effect of the center holes. I would have to change not only the side surfaces of the bearings but also dimension of undercuts, axial position of center holes.

It is a little bit as douth kneading 🙂

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe you are trying to drive multiple components and some components have dependency, right? When you need to drive components, iPart/iAssembly is not the choice. It is because they were designed to be self-contained components clearly defined by their author tables.

I believe the best option at the moment is iLogic. You can drive any parameter from any level within an assembly. Once you have created one variation. You can use iLogic Design Copy to spawn it. Then you can work on next variation.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report