Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large bend radius flange corner miter issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
frugal
646 Views, 8 Replies

large bend radius flange corner miter issue

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something easy here but I had a look around for a similar problem and I couldn't find a solution.

I have a large radius corner to which I am trying to add a flange (linear weld).

I tried using the flange and the contour flange tools but I can't get either of them to work.

I guess that I could draw a face inside the radius and then rip it along a chord, but that seems like a rather complicated solution.

Many thanks,

Thomas

bonnet.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kennyj
in reply to: frugal

Hello frugal,

I think it makes sense from a flat pattern perspective; you would make those cuts then bend the metal, you would get the corner shown.

To clean it up, switch to the 3D Model tab, create a sketch, project the bends, close the loop and then extrude/cut the corners off.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

Message 3 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

You will have to do some manual work...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
frugal
in reply to: kennyj

The trouble with editing the flat pattern is that at the moment, the flange tool throws an error and I can't unfold the part to actually edit it...

Message 5 of 9
frugal
in reply to: kennyj

Ok, I misunderstood what you meant. However, even though the part looks right afterwards, your method of applying the cut after the flange doesn't resolves the failure of the initial flange and the part still wont unfold.

Also, even if I turn off the auto-mitering in the flange tool the command fails...

bonnet2.JPG

Message 6 of 9
blair

Ouch!

You are beyond the limits of Inventor Sheet Metal. Other than the Rolled Contour Flange and a couple of iFeatures, I limit Inventor Sheet Metal to anything done in a Brake.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9

It fails because you can not physically make that part that way as the flanges intersect in the flat pattern. If the corner flange is needed it will need to be an additional piece welded in. Placing the flange on an external corner would work like you are trying to do.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 8 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

You have two issues which doesnt let calculate the flat pattern (intersect)

1st intersection here:

1.png

2nd here:

2.png

Anyway, it's possible to solve. Check the part attached.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
frugal
in reply to: CCarreiras

@CCarreiras wrote:

Anyway, it's possible to solve. Check the part attached.

Excellent. Thanks Carlos. That is exactly what I was trying to achieve.

I am a bit surprised that the flange tool can't solve the corner without direct edits though.

I'm glad I don't have a lot of these to do!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report