Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop running Inventor 2017

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
KevinGreenhouse
1590 Views, 7 Replies

Laptop running Inventor 2017

Hi All,

My company has given me the go ahead to get a new laptop to run Inventor (So I can work from home/ Site if needed).

If possible I would like input on a sensibly priced laptop that is capable of running Inventor on a daily basis, I would on occasions have assemblies of 10k + parts.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I7 -  3.0 ghz or higher

SSD 

8 plus gig's of ram min' ~ more is better..

I have an ASUS i7 with 12 gig's of ram and I don't have any real issues with a 10-15k part assembly. I've rendered on it without a problem ..  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinGreenhouse

I have alienware R13 laptop

intel i7 6500u processor @ 3 ghz

500gb SSD Hybrid

12gb ram

No problem running 10k+ parts on this 

Please accept as answer if you like my answer

Message 4 of 8

Thank you both, I have contacted our Dell sales rep and suggested the specs you have stated.

Hopefully I will get a response back soon so I can take it forward from there.

Message 5 of 8
jporter

For *only* $3549, the Dell Precision 17 can come pre-configured with SSD, 64gb ram, a Quadro 4000, and a Xeon 2.8GHz processor. That's a LOT of bang for the buck. I currently run the Precision 4800 with a core i7 at 2.8GHz,32gb of ram, ssd, and a quadro k2100m. A little over a year ago, my machine ran about the same as that 17" model. I happened to buy at the end of the fiscal quarter, so they bumped me to 5 years prosupport (next business day if I drop it) for the price of the 3 year. I don't expect that I'll be running this 5 years out, but when we pass it to someone else in the company as a user workstation, it will still be under warranty for a good period of time. 

Dell Precision 17

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the response @jporter, funnily enough I have just had a quote back from Dell

Mobile Precision 7710 CTO BASE 2,238.72 2,238.72 SR
Intel® Core? i7-6820HQ (Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530)
17.3" UltraSharp FHD IPS (1920x1080)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
512GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Nvidia Quadro M3000M, 4GB GDDR5

I was hoping for a little quicker processor (3+ Ghz) but the rest of it seems sufficient, anything anyone would change?

Message 7 of 8
jporter

I would ask him for the price adder on processor upgrades. Often, it is easy when you see the list to say "my budget allows $400 more, so I'm going to bounce it up 3 levels so I have a 3.0 GHz processor. Really, the only time I'm maxing out the processor for any significant amount of time is when I render. Other multi-core tasks aren't long enough that the difference between 2.8 GHz and 2.9 GHz would be a significant difference. I would grab the 2.9 GHz Xeon if I had the budget. Here is a snapshot of the dell configurator so you can see the ballpark prices of processor upgrades:

Dell Config.JPG

Message 8 of 8
jporter

My favorite feature of my Precision 4800 is that it uses onboard graphics unless I have Inventor open. When I am on the road, the battery life is significantly different with Inventor open vs not. When I'm not doing heavy work, battery life is awesome. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report