Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2023 home screen - thumbnails / state glyph

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
-niels-
944 Views, 15 Replies

IV2023 home screen - thumbnails / state glyph

So, finally upgraded to IV2023 and Vault Pro 2023 and can finally share in the "fun" of the new home screen....

It was already noted that with 2023.2 the home screen starts in the list view instead of grid view.

This wouldn't be as bad if the list view actually had working thumbnails...

I kinda like the extra information, which is why i also selected the state glyph, but i still want a preview.

Here's what it displays instead of actual imagery:

niels_0-1669027715211.png

Hope this will get on the list of things needed to be fixed for the home screen...

Also, for those working with IV2023 a bit longer now.... is the home screen supposed to be so slow showing recent files upon starting Inventor?

It feels really slow compared to IV2021....

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sundars
in reply to: -niels-

Hi @-niels- 

Thank you for reporting these issues. Apologies for not responding earlier. 

1. The issue of home always starting in list view sounds like we are not remembering our last state. Sounds like a bug to me. We will see if we can control this to remember the last set state.

2. In 2023.2 we implemented the capability to choose and display property columns. i.e. if you have any iproperties or vault properties you would like to see as a column you can choose those columns in the column chooser. During startup if you are already logged into Vault, we have to go fetch those properties for the listed files and that's probably slowing things down. To fix this, logout of vault, shut down and restart Inventor and then Log into vault. But once you log into vault, there will still be a small refresh penalty.

Since you are a vault user, we would be interested to find out what your thoughts on this topic....

1. do you have the need to display iproperties OR vault properties as columns on the home page.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 3 of 16
sundars
in reply to: sundars

@-niels- 

Regarding issue# 1: Home not remembering last state has been reported as INVGEN-65774 and fixed and should be available in the next update.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 4 of 16
-niels-

@sundars Thank you for your reply.

I was aware the first issue was known, thank you for looking up the tracking number.

@sundars wrote:

2. In 2023.2 we implemented the capability to choose and display property columns. i.e. if you have any iproperties or vault properties you would like to see as a column you can choose those columns in the column chooser. During startup if you are already logged into Vault, we have to go fetch those properties for the listed files and that's probably slowing things down. To fix this, logout of vault, shut down and restart Inventor and then Log into vault. But once you log into vault, there will still be a small refresh penalty.

Ok, delay because of having to fetch data sounds plausible and i hope the speed issue can be fixed.

But it seems like you glossed over the fact that it's not displaying images and instead just gives a location.

@sundars wrote:

Since you are a vault user, we would be interested to find out what your thoughts on this topic....

1. do you have the need to display iproperties OR vault properties as columns on the home page.

Maybe "need" is a bit strong, but definitely a "want".

Ideally i like to have an overview with a thumbnail, our required iproperties to show a part's title and article number and its Vault status and state.

Columns for dates, locations and even file size can be useful too, so i do really like the options there are.

Just wishing the graphic ones would work.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 16
sundars

Hi @-niels- 

Thanks for your quick response. My apologies. I think I missed that point about the the Status Glyph and Thumbnail columns. I will take a look and see whether we can support it. I don't believe we get the column meta data type. Home page columns simply renders whatever data iProperties or Vault Properties gives it. To fix it to display images or thumbnails or icons I think we need to specify data type for each column. It would be similar to the vault status column we have today. I will put this on our backlog and see what can be done.

Thank you

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 6 of 16
spencernamcor_us

Hello, I am still having a problem with the default view in inventor opening to list view instead of grid view. How can I fix this? I am running the newest version (2023.2.1)

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024
AutoCad 2024
Message 7 of 16
sundars
in reply to: spencernamcor_us

Hi @spencernamcor_us 

Our apologies for the inconvenience. This fix is slated to be released with 2023.3 (the next major update). Unfortunately, I don't think there is a workaround other than not shutting down Inventor. It would be one extra click to switch to the grid view.

Thank you

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 8 of 16
steveh1

Honestly...not sure how the Home page was released so messed up. I took part in the study to improve the home page (I questioned it at that time) on what they were attempting to accomplish. The Home page in 2021 worked. I have always been an advocate of the Home button.

Looks like none of the recommendations that were made by me and others in the study were implemented into the Home page. Where it was in 2021 to what it is now..... was a drastic step backwards. Can't believe that it even was released in 2023. We are just shy of a year since 2023 was released and still for the most part unusable. Shame Shame on those who let this happen.

How we supposed to get users onboard if a tool went from pretty good to useless.

IMHO,

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 9 of 16
steveh1

And...if those narratives are coming from some one higher up in the food chain (which I think it is), please listen directly to the ones involved with the development of the that product and the customers who are actually using the software.

Best,

Steve H. 

Message 10 of 16
noorman2008

Well, Release 2023.2 came... and it went nowhere regarding the home screen.

Who decided to chance it anyway. The old one worked fine.

But OK, the issues at hand.

- SLOW to open, I mean really SLOW.

- Still always as list, have to click the grid button every time

- Pinned or not pinned is less obvious then before. Why not have 2 blocks (pinned / unpinned)

Tags (2)
Message 11 of 16
SBix26
in reply to: noorman2008

@noorman2008 wrote:

Well, Release 2023.2 came...

2023.2 came quite a few months ago, November to be precise...  2023.3 was released recently and it did fix the list/grid view problem.  Make sure you've got the latest update.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 12 of 16
steveh1
in reply to: SBix26

Agree...2023.3 has fixed list/grid view not sticking.
Message 13 of 16
noorman2008
in reply to: SBix26

Yes, I updated today. Home screen is fixed. 

I didn't get any info updates after I installed 2023, somehow Autodesk had decided that I should remain logged out...? Fixed also

Thx for the info

Message 14 of 16
-niels-
in reply to: noorman2008

Just adding this to my post as @CGBenner marked a solution that was not relevant to my original issue:

The issue of the vault icons being shown as text (in list view) is still present in IV2023.3.

Yes, the icon/list view issue is solved, but that is a different topic.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 15 of 16
CGBenner

@-niels- 

Thank you for clarifying that.  😀

Luckily, we can mark more than one solution per thread, so (hopefully) one day, we can also mark your original issue as solved.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 16 of 16
sundars

Hi @-niels- 

The issue of the vault icons showing as text is already being tracked. We are working with the vault team to figure out how to extract the icons and display them. No ETA yet, but it's definitely on our radar.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report