Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THERE ANYWAY TO CHANGE A SUBFOLDER NAME WITHOUT ISSUE?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
608 Views, 4 Replies

IS THERE ANYWAY TO CHANGE A SUBFOLDER NAME WITHOUT ISSUE?

I need to change a sub-folder name without being asked for missing reference after that. This sub-folder is not inside my Workspace but I've added that folder as my library location. Is there any way I can do it?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Frederick_Law
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the sub-folder your library location?

If so, update project library to new sub-folder name.

Or its inside your library location?

You'll need to reference all files using files in the sub-folder.

Message 3 of 5
philip1009

Unfortunately no, assembly files maintain references to their sub-files through folder locations, if the names of those folders change, those references are lost, typically it's quick to fix though, just right-click the assembly in the browser and select Resolve File and it will guide you through all of the files that need to be found.  Another quick tip is to keep all referenced files in the same folder, Inventor always looks in the same folder as the assembly file first for lost references, but of course keeping everything in the same folder can create their own little problems.

If this happens enough for it to be a major problem, then I'd recommend you look into Autodesk Vault, among other awesome features, you can rename folders in Vault without breaking those references in assembly files.

Message 4 of 5
SBix26

This should be fine, as long as you update the project file with the renamed library folder.  In my experience, Inventor does not care about renamed folders, as long as the files have the same names and can be unambiguously found within the project's designated search paths.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 5
Frederick_Law
in reply to: SBix26

Oh, it depends on if the Project allow unique file names or not.

With unique file name, IV may not use folder name.

Without unique file name, IV will use folder name with file name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report