Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPT - "Modeling Dimension Display" setting keeps changing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
stephenrottloff7259
409 Views, 11 Replies

IPT - "Modeling Dimension Display" setting keeps changing

I am noticing that some parts are periodically changing the Modeling Dimension Display setting.  Our template setting for this value is Display Tolerance.  I always set this to Display As Expression, but it changes to Display Precise Value as I am working.  I am not sure if this happens in the single part modeling environment, but I know it happens when editing parts within the assembly environment.  The image below shows the Document Settings dialog box in question.

Is this a software issue, or is there a way to control this setting outside of the part Document Settings dialog box?

Thank you,

Stephen R.

Inv Pro 2022.3.2

Document Settings.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Did you replaced all the Standard.* default templates?

Lots of internal commands use the default templates.

So always replace them all.

Message 3 of 12

Thank you for the fast reply pineapple.law1972.

To clarify, Inventor part modeling commands use other templates than the one you started with while you are editing parts?

Message 4 of 12

I double checked and this settings change also occurs while in the part modeling environment.

Message 5 of 12

@stephenrottloff7259 wrote:

To clarify, Inventor part modeling commands use other templates than the one you started with while you are editing parts?

Yes, it will look for Standard.ipt.

If it cannot find it, it will use another internal hard coded template.

So make sure you copy your template to Standard.ipt.

Same for iam, idw, ipn.

Also Sheet Metal.ipt and Weldment.iam.

Message 6 of 12

I have another insight to this problem.  I noted that it happens within the part environment.  This may be incorrect.  I am working within one assembly on multiple parts.  The parts are worked on within the assembly and outside of the assembly.  When I notice the change, I may be in the part environment, which is why I stated that it happens within the part environment.

What I am thinking, is if the assembly has document settings that are different from the individual part document settings, is there a possibility the parts inherit the assembly document settings when activated and edited within the assembly environment?  I did check and my assembly did have different document settings than the individual parts.  Now I changed the assembly document settings to match my individual parts' document settings.  Hoping that is the trick

Message 7 of 12

I don't think assembly setting transfer to part.

And you should keep assembly and part template with same settings.

Message 8 of 12

Hi! This is still a mystery to me. We do have some users reporting a similar behavior but so far we are not yet able to reproduce it in house. As Frederick mentioned, it is true that the assembly doc settings should not alter part doc settings. But, it might. Did you happen to measure some geometry when editing the part in place and also change the display precision in the Measure Tool?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12

Hello Johnson,

I have measured part geometry quite a few times within the assembly, and have not changed the precision.

After I made sure to make the assembly doc settings match the part doc settings, I still noticed one of the parts doc settings change again.  But I noticed it outside of the assembly environment.  It is tough to track when subtle things like this when they happen and getting work done.

One thing that tips me off that the setting has changed is when I look at the parts' origin folder.  I always keep the origin folder open in all of my assemblies and parts.  But when I notice it is closed, I go to the document settings and sure enough it has changed.

Message 10 of 12

We have also noticed that the settings in the .ipt's randomly change. Our .ipt and ,iam templates all are set with the "Display as Value" set.  It will mysteriously change to "Display tolerance" in the ipt's.

We did not see this until we changed from 2020 to 2022. I have had 4 different users mention this to me.

karthur1_0-1684156931812.png

Message 11 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

We do have some users reporting the exact behavior starting from Inventor 2022. Unfortunately, we have not yet figured out a way to reproduce it. This exact setting is by document. I assume there could be some inconsistency between some files. If possible, please make sure the template files (iam and ipt) have the consistent settings. It would be great if we can find the steps to reproduce it.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12

Hi Folks,

@jeanchile shared the steps to reproduce the behavior on this latest thread. I am able to reproduce it now. I will document it in the defect (INVGEN-68096) so that the project team can work on INVGEN-68096 more easily.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/template-issue-quot-model-dimension-display-quot-switc...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report