Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperties Length, Width, Height in Description and how to fix unit to just have " instead of 'in'

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Hunteil
318 Views, 3 Replies

iProperties Length, Width, Height in Description and how to fix unit to just have " instead of 'in'

This is a solution to a problem I've had over the past years and always had a hard time solving it. So by writing this, I hope it helps others also resolve their issues too. Please feel free to add to this with comments.

If you want your iProperty / iProperties to consume a parameter or custom property. You can type = <exact property spelling here> in any field in the iProperties.

Example: "=<Designer>"
Result: After pressing Apply/Close, this will output whatever is typed into the Designer property in iProperties. You can then click the Fx (Fx.png) symbol to the right to reveal the formula if needed.

This same trick can be used with Parameters as well as System Variables like "=<Sheet Metal Rule>" <-only applies to Sheet Metal .ipt files. (I'm unaware of a list of all the System Variables, maybe someone can comment with a helpful list 🙏.)

As far as parameters:

1. Open the Parameter dialog box and find the Parameter you want to call on.
  2. Check the check box for "Export Parameter". In the below example I'm going to use Length.Parameter Export1.png
  3. Then close the Parameters menu.
  4. Open your iProperties and inside the Description field you can type in "=Example text, <Length>", More Example Text"
  5. Apply and/or close.
  6. The Output should now display: "Example text, 9.88 in", More Example Text" (note you may have your units set too mm and in place of in would be mm in that case.)
    • This is obviously a problem b/c of the double units. Since Inventor doesn't support changing the display unit of ", you're going to have to change the way its formatted in a different way.
  7. Open the Parameter dialog box and find the Parameter you want to call on again.
  8. Right Click on the Equation and "Select Custom Property Format..."Parameter Export2.png
  9. Next Dialog box, change Property Type to Number. (Also you can adjust precision here as well.)d114f3c9-8055-40c3-ac60-4202d1841f74.png
  10. Press Ok and return to your iProperties and you will see the "in" is now gone like we wanted.
    Example: "Example text, 9.88", More Example Text"
    Another Example could be applying the Length value to your part number: =PART-<Length>, Result: PART-9.88

Warning: Seems to be temperamental when using with Model States? Doesn't like to be edited? Feel free to share your experiences. Maybe it'll work better with iFactory families? Nope seems to have a problem here too.

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: Hunteil

I don't have a list of system variables you can use, but these three work (in addition to your =<Sheet Metal Rule>)

• =<Flat Pattern Width>
  • =<Flat Pattern Area>
  • =<Flat Pattern Length>
Peter
Message 3 of 4
James_Willo

This is a great tip that very few people know about. Absolute game changer when a colleague showed me this years ago!

Thanks for explaining it here!

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 4 of 4
Hunteil

Just found a video also covering the topic here. This guy does a great job explaining things. things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJL_A5U5o0&ab_channel=Tech3D

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report