Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart factory location

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
SharkDesign
1666 Views, 8 Replies

iPart factory location

I'm creating an iPart and want to set a default place for the factory members to save in.  Can anyone help me please?

I've searched and read loads of different posts but none of them have really explained how to do it.

I've created an iPart and I'm trying to get the factory parts to save in a specific folder. Currently they are all just saving in the root of the workspace.

When inserting the iPart I can click the browse function to save it somewhere else, but when I insert the same iPart again, it defaults back to the worlgroup root.

I found information on creating a path in Libraries, but I don't know how to tell the iPart which particulalr library path I want it to save in.

There's also talk of proxy paths, but I don't really understand what this is.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SharkDesign
in reply to: SharkDesign

Autodesk contacted me and this is not possible.

For anyone else confused and reading this, here is how it works.

Standard iPart members that are generated, i.e. those that have predefined values in the iPart table are saved in the same location as the original iPart (but in a sub directory.)

For example, if you have this iPart factory:

"C:\files\reinforced_duct.ipt"

When you use the iPart in an assembly, a new subdirectory will be created at its same level, and the iPart member will be saved into that folder:

"C:\files\reinforced_duct\Part01-01.ipt"

Custom iPart members that are generated, i.e. those that allow the user to type any value when inserting (for instance the length of an extrusion) are saved in the Workspace root folder.

This is the folder shown under 'Workspace" in the Projects manager. No sub directory is created.

The default folder for custom iPart members is unable to be changed.

When inserting a new custom iPart member, it is possible to click browse and select the directory for save, but this will default to the workspace next time you try to insert it.

Expert Elite
Message 3 of 9
jpchaisson

James,

im not sure who you spoke with be the information you got is correct from what you said, but you can save ipart/iassembly children to any

file location you want and the Factory in a different location if your prefer.

the way you do this by defining Libraries in your .IPJ file each library should have 2 file paths.

1) is the file path to where you have the Factory saved.

2) once that file that is defined in the .IPJ right click on the path you just created and select "add proxy path" this location can be anywhere you 

choose inside your workspace. when naming your proxy path it MUST BE NAMED THE SAME AS THE FIRST PATH WITH A UNDERSCORE ("_").

Library Paths.png

once you have your paths set and you "Place Component" in the grey window you will see something like this...

place component.png

once you place a component from your iPart the child should save to the Proxy path.

hope this helps, if you need any further help with this let me know,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 9
SharkDesign
in reply to: jpchaisson

anks for your help, I can't get it to work though.

For some reason my proxy path is red which might be the reason?

proxy.PNG

Expert Elite
Message 5 of 9
jpchaisson

James,

change your proxy path location to a location outside of your Library and also name your folder with a "_" i.e. _Factory

thanks,

Jeremy

Message 6 of 9
SharkDesign

Oh Right, I need the factory member to save inside the Library :'(

Expert Elite
Message 7 of 9
jpchaisson

is it working for you ?

Jeremy

Message 8 of 9
SharkDesign

Yes thank you, that works, but I need the members saved inside the library and therefore this method doesn't work for me.

Expert Elite
Message 9 of 9
jpchaisson

my fault i didnt explain better, when i said set the proxy path outside the library i meant outside the Parent file location.

you cant have a Library file Path the same as a Proxy Path.hope this explains it better ....

Library Explained.png

Thanks,

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report