Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor stopped working

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
salariua
6890 Views, 31 Replies

Inventor stopped working

I am having problems running Inventor since Friday, September 8th.

worked on the day before and it fails to start ever since. I can see Inventor running in task manager with 0% CPU but no splash screen.

2015, 2016, 2017 they all stopped working without a reason. We are on tokens and the rest of Autodesk software seems to be working, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, PDSU2017 in general on windows 10.0.10586

I have done the following without success:

- checked FlexNet Licensing Service 64 and it was stopped. started it and marked to restart on failures. It is on and running.

- reset utility

- manual reset, renamed registry and local (AKN here).

- repair

- reinstall

- logged in as a different user (administrative rights), still doesn't work.

- verified Registry for correct servers entry @ "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE" (I have no entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for FLEXlm License Manager as some AKN suggest).

- checked ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable and it's correct.

- pinged the server and checked or open ports: both turned OK.

- there is no antivirus or security installed, disabled UAC

- removed updates, 2017.4.2, .... all the way back to basic install.

- removed Autocad updates and any other updates done in September.

- can't see anything in Windows Error reporting except some "wscommcntr4.exe" crashes but AutoCAD works. (have marked it to Run as Administrator)

- i have a ntdll.dll error so I have updated to latest Nvidia Driver ODE for K5000 now @ R384 U3 (385.41) WHQL Release Date: 2017.8.24

my colleague's computer works fine, same settings, identic machines, same network, same license server.

I am running out of ideas...

@johnsonshiue

@ChrisMitchell01

@Mark.Lancaster

anyone else came around this problem?

here's what it looks like.

170913-01.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
markcalloway
in reply to: salariua

Hi @salariua

Not much to go on but here a are a few suggestions that you haven't tried which may help:

Check version of Microsoft .Net Framework installed.

Clear your Windows Temp folder

Has anything changed on your computer since Friday? new software installed etc etc.

Try running as admin.

Hopefully these will give you something else to try. let us know how you get on and I will see if I can think of anything else.

Oh as a last ditch resort as it sounds like you haven't been working for a few days you could look at doing a system restore back to before Friday but this has its own risks.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find this post helpful, please LIKE.
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Follow me on Twitter / Follow me on Linkedin / Blog
Message 3 of 32
salariua
in reply to: markcalloway

Thanks Mark

@markcalloway wrote:

Check version of Microsoft .Net Framework installed.

Windows 10 November Update systems: 394254 .NET Framework 4.6.1 

Did allready, listed in original post...

Clear your Windows Temp folder

did that before reinstall, done it again just now, still no luck

Has anything changed on your computer since Friday? new software installed etc etc.

It pushes updates every day but I can't why that would affect only my computer. I have removed all September updates.

Try running as admin.

Did that after unregister, uninstall, to auto-register. Almost every step I've tried it with As Administrator.

Hopefully these will give you something else to try. let us know how you get on and I will see if I can think of anything else.

Oh as a last ditch resort as it sounds like you haven't been working for a few days you could look at doing a system restore back to before Friday but this has its own risks.

Inventor Registration log might give us a clue, this is what it's showing.

-----------------------------

============ Inventor Registration Logging Started at: 2017-09-13, 10:52:07 ============

Logs the high-level progression of (un)registration of dlls, executables.... Failures are marked as detected.

General information:
VersionInfo: 21.10.19900.0000
RegistryVersionKey: RegistryVersion21.0
ExecutableDirectoryName: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2017\Bin
ExecutableFileName: Inventor.exe
RegisteredLocation: c:\program files\autodesk\inventor 2017\

2017-09-13, 10:52:07: Register32BitApprentice: 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2017\Bin\bin32\ApprenticeRegSvr.exe /install /silent /32BitRegistrationOn64BitOS'

Seems to be stopping short, I have left it for hours and it still doesn't show a splash screen or any windows.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 4 of 32
markcalloway

Hi @salariua

Can you upload the inventor log file from C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADLM

It should be named something like this productname201xENUAdlm.log 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Message 5 of 32
salariua

nothing recent there either.

product design suite log "AMECH_PP2017ENGAdlm.log"

------------------

------------------

3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 Reason=Fatal error
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 ComputerName=*****
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 OS=6.2.9200.
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 File=AdlmIntNWFBLicense.cpp,Line=802
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 VendorID=3 [FLEXLM-NW]
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 VendorError=-18 [License server system does not support this feature.]
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:11 FLEXLM-NW=v11.13.1.0 build 167164 x64_n6
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:21 Reason=Fatal error
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:21 ComputerName=*****
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:21 OS=6.2.9200.
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:21 File=AdlmIntNWFBLicense.cpp,Line=785
3616 2017/02/09 09:33:21 AdlmIntError=20 [License check out failed]

------------------

------------------

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 32
markcalloway

Is your UAC turned off in Windows? if not does turning this off make a difference?

Message 7 of 32
Mark.Lancaster

@salariua

Thanks for tagging me..

All I can say is welcome to my world..  Smiley Very Happy

I'm faced with this same type of problem but in my case, a Windows 10 update corrupted my machine.  I have launching issues from Autodesk products to Outlook to our VPN interface..  What you are describing is the same thing for me..  Splash screen halts and/or nothing happens..  Smiley Sad

When the Windows update failed, it took me 6 times of using the Windows restore point (using the same restore point) even before I could get things to work again.  I would reboot and then Inventor would start working..  But when I accessed AutoCAD Mech it wouldn't work..  I reboot and then Windows wouldn't come back for at least 30 mins...   AutoCAD would start but not Inventor.  When I got Inventor to work, it took 10 mins just to start a new part. What a mess...   But hopefully my issues will go away when IT rebuilds my computer tomorrow.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 32

You know it's bad when Adrian is jammed ...

This sounds deeper ...if all of the inventors aren't working but the other software are ..

Could it be getting blocked by security or permissions ... and in a checking license status in the background ... especially if it's all of the versions ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 32
salariua
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

I'm faced with this same type of problem but in my case, a Windows 10 update corrupted my machine.

I can't see any failed updates in my system. Can you confirm which one has broken your machine?

@mdavis22569 wrote:

You know it's bad when Adrian is jammed ...

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I am still waiting for someone to slap me with a quick fix.

btw: I did restart my computer :))

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 10 of 32
markcalloway

One guy I use to know in IT would likely be suggesting a "bounce test" right about now:

1. turn computer off

2. open a window

3. thrown computer out and see how high it bounces

I'm not aware of this fixing any faults but when you start running out of better options...

Message 11 of 32
Mark.Lancaster

@salariua

This happened to me a month ago and I've been dealing with it ever since..  Smiley Sad  Some days it works fine and other days I want to throw it out the Window (and perform the bounce test as @markcalloway has indicated Smiley Very Happy)

I don't remember what update it was and its no longer there since I had to do a Windows restore point.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 32
-niels-

I am by no means knowledgeable on these type of problems but gonna chime in and hope i won't sound too stupid...

From what i get from your post you've checked everything related to the network license and it should be working...

If you suspect there is something wrong with the license manager, did you try (re-)installing inventor and running it as a standalone license (trial)?

If you suspect it might be a windows thing, i've read some stuff about the Creators update (randomly) resetting some windows settings to their default.
Maybe windows firewall/security is interfering with your own antivirus/firewall?

Don't know if this will be of any help, hope you can get it solved!

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 32
markcalloway

Just a thought but if you cant see any failed updates, can you see any newly installed updates from Friday?

Maybe uninstalling them one at a time and testing you will find which update is causing the issue?

Message 14 of 32
wrw0007

We have a computer in our office that has run into a similar problem twice. What we would get upon launching inventor is no splash screen, no ui, no anything until we looked at task manager. with taskmanager open we see that inventor.exe launches using 0kb of memory and then closes itself seconds later.

We tried a lot of the things you mentioned including reinstall and it didn't work. This includes running the InventorReset.exe utility.

Dont ask why I decided to do this, but I decided to run a command prompt as administrator, and change directory to my inventor install location, then ran InventorReset.exe from the command prompt and everything started working again. Why it worked from cmd and not from explorer is beyond me.

Later experimenting proved to be a third party program that was installed created problems that led to Inventor not launching.

Probably not worth much, but wanted to share my experience.

Clicked reply to the wrong person. My bad.

Message 15 of 32
mdavis22569
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels-

has a good idea ...

If you're able to install software ..

Can  you install 2018 Inventor LT in a trial and see if it starts ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 16 of 32

My suggestion...

We all need to go back to the board, mechanical pencils, lead holder, compass, protector, electric erase, eraser shield, drafting brush, ruler, vellum, t-square drafting tape and a blue print machine.  Smiley Wink

Back when life was simple..  Smiley Very Happy

Anybody remember those days?

Mark Lancaster

Message 17 of 32

Then the lead breaks .... and you have to keep sharpening it ....

graphite on the forearms ... oh the fun of being left handed ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 18 of 32
SBix26
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Ink on linen, hand eraser, ... No, I'm not that old, but I've handled some old linen drawings.  Some of them were works of art.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.1.2
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 19 of 32
DannyHubbard

Adrian,

If you go to your TEMP folder and clean it out then start Inventor again you should an InventorRegistrationLog file and CLM log file being created.

Can you upload these to see if they have anything that may help us identify the issue.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 32

Adrian,

Does "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Bin\AddInMgr.exe" work ? If so try unloading all add-ins & then see if Inventor will start.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report