Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Professional 2017 stops working at launch

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1824 Views, 19 Replies

Inventor Professional 2017 stops working at launch

I'm a student who just recently installed Autodesk Professional 2017 on my Acer Spin laptop. My laptop fits all the requirements needed for the program but when I installed Inventor and opened it, it said that a problem caused it to stop working. Pls Help

inventor (1).PNG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

This usually points to the following

1.  A Microsoft C++ issue on your machine: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-remove-and-reinstall-Microsoft-Visual-C-Runtime-Libraries.html

2.  A graphics driver that's out of date or a graphics card not supported.

3.  Microsoft Netframe issue with your machine.  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-Microsoft-NET-Framework.html

But before you do anything above..  Check your WIndows Event logs around the time this message appeared.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

What do I have to check for in my Windows log before doing those steps?

Also how do I check if my graphics driver is out of date or a graphics card is not supported?

windowslog.PNG

Message 4 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! This could be an install related issue. Try Repair Install workflow. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Autodesk Inventor Pro 2017 -> right-click -> Uninstall/Change -> Repair Install.

Does it work better now? Are the graphics driver up-to-date and all critical Windows updates installed?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I tried to repair install Inventor but it still says that a problem caused it to stop working.

Message 6 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is graphics driver up-to-date? Are all critical Windows updates installed? Have you applied 2017.4 update?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

My graphics driver is up-to-date and I have the latest Windows 10 and Inventor 2017 updates but it is not running.

Message 8 of 20
MSD_takaseh

Hi labarej,
Which update for Windows 10 did you install? 1709? 1803?
Also please try to remove a content of %temp% folder and disable unti-virus and then run the Inventor as Administrator with RMB.
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

I have the Windows 1803 update on my laptop. Also can I remove anything from the %temp% folder?

Message 10 of 20
MSD_takaseh

Hello labarej,
Files that can be removed should be removed from %temp% folder. I recommend to remove them at least once per month.
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

So I deleted contents in the %temp% folder and ran Inventor as administrator but the program still stops and I get the same message as before.

Message 12 of 20
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Did you ever visit your Windows Events looking under application and system to see if there's any warnings or errors around the time you launch your application?

2018-09-26_22-08-15.jpg

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Yes. Here's what I found. 

Message 14 of 20
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

My version of that dll is 1.0.2.10 but my Inventor 2017 has been updated..  Let's try this..

Use the following steps to re-register Autodesk Inventor with your operating system:

1.  Exit Inventor if still running

2a.  Win 8/8.1/10: Select the Windows start button and type CMD (but do not hit an enter)

2b.  Win 7:  Select the Windows start button and type CMD in the search field (but do not hit an enter)

3.  When CMD or command prompt appears in the list, right mouse click and select run as admin

2017-10-12_8-33-26.jpg

4.  When the command prompt appears, navigate using dos commands to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor <version>\Bin or where your Inventor.exe is located if you changed the default install location of Inventor.

In this example I'm navigated to my Inventor 2018 (exe) location.

2017-10-12_8-17-44.jpg

6.  Type Inventor.exe /install.  

2017-10-12_8-30-40.jpg

Wait a few mins and restart Inventor.   At this time you will not see anything occurring.  Don't panic.  Smiley Very Happy  However if you launch Windows task manager you can watch the Inventor.exe process (and see when it ends).

Does that resolve the issue?

Mark Lancaster

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

I did that but when I looked at the task manager, the CPU at Inventor stopped at like 48% and Inventor stopped working.

Message 16 of 20
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

That's fine..  It just runs the re-register process..  Did you launch Inventor again?

Mark Lancaster

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Yes and the program still stops. I'm going to try the process again to see if it works is that okay?

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

I've tried the process again but Inventor is still not working...

Message 19 of 20
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

One last thing and I'm tapping out... (or going to bed Smiley LOL_

If your entitled to updates access your Autodesk Account and apply the latest Inventor 2017 update as per this article https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/inventor-2017-updates-for-customers-subscription.html

If that doesn't solve the issue, something is wrong with your machine and I've run out of ideas..

Mark Lancaster

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

WOW! It finally worked. Looks like all I needed was to update it. Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report