Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Moving Textures To Eliminate Transition Seam Line

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3399 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor Moving Textures To Eliminate Transition Seam Line

Hello, 

I have a problem with my wood texture not really being where I want it to be. As you can see in the picture, the texture ends to soon on top. And would like to move it, so that the line dissapears. How can I do this? 

texture.jpg

Thanks, Mikael  

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: [HELP] Moving textures

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

I hope this screenshot helps:

2017-12-11_1309.png

Basically you edit the position or scale of the texture in order to align it better, you may have to make a copy of the color (appearance) and apply it to a specific face in order to get things to align the way you want.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Thank you for your answer! 

I have actually tried this without any success. No matter what value I put in the position (X,Y) boxes, the texture remains the same on the chosen face... 

When I instead tried to rotate the texture on the face, just to see if the line could appear on the bottom, it always stayed on top. Like if the center of the texture, was positioned far to low (see video). 

/Mikael

Message 4 of 13
-niels-

Aah, yeah... i noticed that too... seems the position controls only work when you set your visual style to "realistic"...

As for that line you're seeing... i can't seem to reproduce that...
Which texture are you using? i noticed in your screenshot you're on a different language so i wasn't sure and used "driftwood" in my image.
Maybe you can post a sample part with your texture on it?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Sure, thank you for your time!

So here is download link to the texture:

https://www.google.se/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjt6ZffhILYAhXCQZoKHVpBBu...

Ill also try to upload the picture aswell, but dont know if you will get the right size: 

Walnut Washed Groove 2.jpg

Message 6 of 13
-niels-

Ok, so i think the biggest issue here is that your texture isn't seamless...

There are ways to fix that, but i'm not sure what your goal is.

If you adjust the scale to your model then you can get a reasonable fit... at least in my sample it worked well enough:

(cube is 300mm x 200mm x 500mm)

2017-12-11_1423.png

It looks good on the sides, the top still has that seam... you could fix that by making a copy (like i mentioned) and changing the scale of the texture to fit the top. (300 x 200 in my case)

If the texture starts to become too blurry because you have to scale it up too much, then you'll have to look at making it seamless or finding a seamless version online.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Its going to be a cabinet door, so only the front has to be right in this case. 
But I cant seem to make it work... Ive tried to change the scale, and the size does change but the topline is still there as in the picture...
Ive looked for seamless pictures, but couldnt find one as close to what I am actually building as this one.

texture 2.jpg 

/Mikael

Message 8 of 13
-niels-

In your image the value for the scale does not match the one dimension i can see...
Make sure you enter it with the unit (mm), it will convert it to inches on its own.
Also, make sure you unlink width and height... it will stretch, but you'll have more control.

If everything fails, you could also try applying the texture as a decal instead.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

With the precise dimmension, and unlinked height/with I still couldnt make it work unfortunatly. But applying it as a decal did! To bad i cant change the furniture gloss, and grain details, but it will have to do. Thank you very much for your fast help today! 

Texture 3.jpg

With best regards, Mikael 

Message 10 of 13
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

When I have an image like this and I want to pattern so it doesn't have seams at the edges I make a quick edit.

It works out most of the time, sometimes it makes a weird circle in the middle where the mirrors meet so be aware.

• Open Paint or photo editing software
  • Inspect the edges to see if there are any white spaces or dark lines on the edges, in this case it needs to be trimmed accordingly.
  • Easiest way I found is to Select All and move up-left a few pixels, in this case 1 row is darker.
  • Then take the bottom right bounding square and drag up-left a few pixels, in this case 2 rows.
  • This just cleans up the edges.
  • File > Properties
  • Make the value a round number, just like to have easy math. Ex: this is 3506x4452 would trim and then make 3500x4450
  • CTRL + A (Select All)
  • CTRL + C (Copy)
  • File > Properties
  • Double the Width and Height (ex: 7000x8900)
  • CTRL + V (Paste)
  • Move to right and position flush with edges
  • Image > Flip Horizontal
  • CTRL + V (Paste)
  • Move to bottom left
  • Image > Flip Vertical
  • CTRL + V (Paste)
  • Move to bottom right
  • Image > Flip Vertical
  • Image > Flip Horizontal

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 11 of 13
PaulMunford

One additional tip that might help - Autodesk Inventor will interpret a 96 pixel x 96 pixel (at 96DPI) image as being one inch square. You can use this information to work out how big your tiling image needs to be to fully cover your part.

However, as you found out, it is sometime easier to get the look you want by applying a decal!

You might be interested in Woodwork for Inventor. This plugin has tools to allow you to apply face veneers and edging including grain direction and part oversize.

http://www.woodworkforinventor.com/en/home/features/material_assignment

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Wow thank you, i tried your image and it looks perfect now! Great tipp, ill edit in paint from now on. 

texture 4.jpg

/Mikael 

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thank you Paul for your tip! Ill have to try that too.

And also thank you for the link, ill definitely try that too as most of my project are in wood (furniture designer). 

This has been a great first 24 hours in the Autodesk community, with alot of good help! 

/Mikael 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report