Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor iAssembly Tables

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
787 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor iAssembly Tables

So I have an assembly that uses tables in an I assembly to build multiple sizes of the same machine. Its a part where one part is made in an I-assembly so that the part can change and adapt to the size of the other machines, so multiple sizes can come from the same list of parts. I don't really understand the I-assembly, how it works, or how to edit it. The part I am working with has lots of errors and constraint errors that I am trying to fix. How can I go about this? Also, I am working with a 24in part, and when I try to open the part, ALL the parts of the 12in, 18in, 24in, 30in, and 36in parts show up in the sub-assembly when I open it from the main assembly. How does this work?? Thanks.

Trevor Jordan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous it is difficult to help without the files, if you can use Pack & Go as .zip to attach the files that would be helpful for community experts to comment on further.

Here are some helpful links that might get you going:

Help: iAssemblies

Autodesk Inventor iAssembly Best Practices

YouTube Search: iAssembly

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Trevor,

Based on your description, I guess you tried to convert a regular functional assembly to an iAssembly, right? I personally think you will be better off using iLogic rule in your case to drive the components for each variation.

iAssembly works best if you already create iParts and then assemble these pre-defined iParts in an iAssembly. Please attach an example here so forum experts can provide further guidance.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm not sure if I can attach the files. I don't understand exactly what an Ipart or Iassembly is or what it is used for. I'm trying to figure that out and how to use it so I can edit it correctly to fix errors. 

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you mind sharing an example of what you are after? Are you trying to drive part changes within the iAssembly?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure if I can attach the files. I don't understand exactly what an Ipart or Iassembly is or what it is used for. I'm trying to figure that out and how to use it so I can edit it correctly to fix errors. 

An ipart is a "family" of like parts (called members) created in a single ipt file (called the factory)..

An example would be a table top ipart family.. Each member would be a different diameter depending on the different options your company offers..

An iassembly is a "family" of like assemblies (members) created in a single iam file (factory)

An example would be a table.. Each member would be a different diameter..

Your iassembly would be started by selecting the ipart family file for the table top part and selecting one of the members..

Then you would place 4 legs into the file and constrain the legs to the holes in the table..

Then to "convert" this normal assembly into a real iassembly you press the "create iassembly" button and create all the members in the table by adding more rows..

THEN the "magic" is done by expanding and double clicking on the "table replace" node of the table leg ipart in the Components tab of the iassembly author table and then going down into the rows below and selecting which "member" of that ipart table top is used with each member of the table iassembly..

Does that help to get you to understand the basics?

In general its all about replacing different iparts or excluding regular parts or many other operations from this iassembly table to create your "like" product families... 

There are "limitations" to its functionality though...

Here is the start of the help material..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Inventor-Help/files/GUID-9D7FF4CB-6045-4E2A-AC88-40A2F4DDF392-htm.html

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Inventor-Help/files/GUID-6E529299-CAB9-4F5C-B100-7901D877B83F-htm.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes, this is a huge help. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report