Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor For Design Of Rocket Playhouse?

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
1723 Views, 31 Replies

Inventor For Design Of Rocket Playhouse?

Hi,

Can I design a rocket house in inventor?

thanks,

kas

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Rocket design

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.

Message 3 of 32
hncarle

Uh . . .  you want a structure to put a rocket into or a house that will fly????

Message 4 of 32
johnsonshiue

Hi! Based on the way you ask the question, you are a student right? Is this a school project or your own project? Regardless, I suggest you first need to learn how to use Inventor. There is a lot of online resource to learn. Below is a starting point.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products

Once you are familiar with Inventor, you can explore various design and you will find the answer yourself. If you are not interested in learning to use Inventor, I suggest you find a different tool. Inventor is one of the most popular mechanical design tools in the world. Once you learn to use it, you will be able to use other professional-grade MCAD tools fairly easily.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 32
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

If you can embed a screenshot, record a screencast , or attach your parts with Pack & Go as .zip to clarify your design intent that would be helpful for other users to investigate and provide feedback. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi @kelly.young

Thanks for the welcome Robot Happy

I work for a prefab company and I'm looking to design a prototype as in the picture below.

Hi @johnsonshiue

I've been experimenting with Inventor and Revit for quite sometime, but not able to get the polygon modeling to work as expected.

Any feedback on how to design is appreciated.

sample modelsample modelHi

Message 7 of 32
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think the model can be easily built on Inventor. We have customers building real world models like this. For a medium-level user, it will take a day or two. An expert can get it done within a few hours. You can use a single part to model the whole thing or you can build individual parts. I don't see any difficulty here. Please attach your attempt here so forum experts can guide you further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 32
kelly.young

@Anonymous Thanks for attaching the image, much more clear. Are you trying to build this using the Sheet Metal tools within Inventor?

This definitely looks like something that can be achieved it just depends on the design intent. 

If you can attach the part with Pack & Go of what you have done so far or show a screencast of where you are stuck that would be helpful. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 32
karthur1

Interesting .......It is possible to do in Inventor.  Just curious, are the horizontal pieces made of individual wood pieces?  Will you have to detail each joint?

Thats a lot of different pieces.

2018-05-30_2135.png

Message 10 of 32
blair
in reply to: karthur1

It looks like you should be able to reuse a number of pieces as well as treating each of the side panels as sub assemblies and reusing these.

I might even consider Authoring to Frame Generator some dimensional wooden shapes to use for this. 

I might consider doing this in Frame Generator and using a simple extrude octagonal surface to control the main shape of the model.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Hi @johnsonshiue

This is what I've have so far:

draft rocket house.JPG

Hope it doesn't look like a iron-box

I cannot get to edit the sketch to get wood panels.

Message 12 of 32
TheCADWhisperer

Is this a commercial project or is this a student project?

Message 13 of 32
mcgyvr

err... what? Thats really challenging my brain today to comprehend how that is anything like what you have shown in the image above.. Smiley Tongue

One of the best tips about Inventor is keep it as real to life as possible.. If you want a table in the real world you make a leg part (4 times) and a tabletop part..

Then you assemble them together..

This should be the same.. Thats totally an assembly of multiple flat sheets of plywood or something so model it as such in Inventor..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 14 of 32
DRoam
in reply to: mcgyvr

Did a quick Google "search by image" of the rocket and found this: https://paulsplayhouses.com/products/rippin-rocketship-playhouse-plan

Images from the webpage:

Rocket Playhouse 1.jpegRocket Playhouse 2.jpgRocket Playhouse 3.jpg

Should be very helpful to everyone.

Message 15 of 32
kelly.young

@Anonymous depending on your experience and how advanced you want to get, here is a post with many good examples that might be helpful.

Collection of ilogic models for beginners: Playset

Message 16 of 32
DRoam
in reply to: DRoam

@Anonymous, below is an image showing how I would probably break up the rocket. Each color is a unique sub-assembly which can be re-used multiple times.

Rocket Playhouse Sub-assemblies.png

The basic breakdown is:

• Bottom section with fin (red) - 4X
  • Bottom section with hole (yellow) - 4X
  • Middle section with hole (green) - 7X
  • Middle section with entrance (blue) - 1X
  • Upper section (purple) - 8X

As for the modeling itself, I would personally use multibody modeling. You can google this to look into it.

That's just how I personally would do it after a quick digest of the overall assembly. Other people would do it differently and no one way is "the right way". But some will likely be better than others (including mine) for your application.

I'd be curious to hear if others know of a good parametric way to pattern the decreasing sizes of panels in the upper and lower sections. The middle one is easy, just a pattern of the same panel. But the top and bottom may be a little trickier.

Message 17 of 32
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: DRoam

Doesn't look too complicated @kelly.young will post an image of his finished design tomorrow.  Smiley LOL

I think the most time will be spent on deciding how to do the support framing under the floors with consideration of the trap doors (and the trap doors themselves) and around the cut windows.

I would start with a Hex for the concrete slab, work my way up creating one example of each part (multi-body) and then a bunch of Patterns.  

BTW @DRoam great research in discovering that this is a plan that can be purchased.  Surely that information should have been disclosed in the original problem statement.  I would give you 10 Kudos - if we could still give Kudos.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi @TheCADWhisperer

This is a commercial project, we are the manufacturers.

Message 19 of 32
kelly.young

@Anonymous if you are the manufacturers do you have the plans for the rocket ship that they are selling on the site?

If you already have a cut list the easiest way would be to draw each piece as a part and constrain within an assembly. 

What is the future use of the model within the manufacturing method, meaning should it be parametric to change sizes?

Message 20 of 32
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a commercial project, we are the manufacturers. 

In that case - I can help you learn Inventor step-by-step.

There are several different ways of doing the design.  Given that you are the manufacturer I would do as a complete iAssembly, but that is too advanced for your current experience.

So let's start with a simplified method.

On the Top (XZ) Plane sketch and dimension a hexagon octagon.

Zip and Attach your *.ipt file here for the next step.  (This simple first step will tell me a lot about how to proceed with my instructions.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report