Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Crashing

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
lee.hughesAA46F
2976 Views, 39 Replies

Inventor Crashing

Hi all,

Since installing the 2022 update last week my Inventor has been crashing every single time I try to edit a drawing title block. It will allow me to do one edit then will crash on the 2nd attempt every single time.

There is not option to report this crash so I was hoping this issue can be patched?

Kind regards

Lee

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: lee.hughesAA46F

Can you Attach example files that are exhibiting this behavior?

What are your system specs?

Have you installed Update 2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 40

Is that happening with every title block, or just a custom one you have from your company (for ex.)? Does it crash when you edit a title block from the default templates in Inventor?

You can always try Start Menu > Autodesk Inventor 2022 > Inventor Reset Utility, then if the issue persists, run a repair for the installation (Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall Programs > Inventor > Repair or Reinstall > Repair).

Message 4 of 40

It's a custom title block and all I am doing is changing the text formula Source from Primary Model to Current Drawing. Upon finishing sketch and clicking yes to save, it crashes Inventor. It has never done this before until the last few days which was only every now and again however today it is consitent.

Thank you

crash template example.png

Message 5 of 40

Hi! I have located the crash report you sent. It could be specific to 2022.2 update. Could you try uninstalling 2022.2 update and see if the crash still happens?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 40

Does it crash if you select any other custom Property from the drawing? Have you tried pasting the same title block into another drawing file and following the same process to crash? Is the "Project" property empty, and if so, are you able to test if filling out the property stops the glitch from happening?
Message 7 of 40
rhasell
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson

I can almost crash on demand now. Hard crash for me.

It is definitely related to SP2.

In my case I have some iLogic code to change title blocks.

The rule will open a template file, copy and replace the title block on the current drawing.

A title block replace will crash 100% of the time. A clean titleblock insert, i.e a blank sheet with no titleblock, and one is inserted for the first time, this will crash 50% of the time.

I eventually gave up using the code. A bit more intermittent, is making changes to the title block. This will occasionally crash.

Hope this helps in your troubleshooting, I have found that the new service pack is very unstable and I get a lot more crashes than before. To date I have not had an error report, every crash is a hard crash.

Thanks

Regards

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 8 of 40

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your help, uninstalling the update seems to have worked, I have edited my title block multiple times without it crashing. If this problem arises again I'll be sure to update on this.

Kind regards

Lee

Message 9 of 40

Hi Lee,

Though uninstalling 2022.2 helps avoid the crash, it is still a bug. We need to fix it. It sounds like 2022.2 does not handle this particular exception well. If possible, please share the files reproducing the crash with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to work with the project team and understand the issue better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 40

Hi Shiue,

I have emailed you the file.

Kind regards
Lee
Message 11 of 40

Hi Lee,

You may want to try it again, johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I did not receive any email from you.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 40

Hi @lee.hughesAA46F ,

If you are emailing to Johnson, please forward to me that data set as well. And we got some clue from a similar issue, Was the add-in of "ESDK" loaded when the crash happened? If so, and if you can spare some time, would you please try install the 2022.2 update again and unload the "ESDK" add-in, and do the previous workflow to see if it solves the issue.

Thank you.

mickey.li@autodesk.com

Mickey Li
Product Manager
ACS Docs Platform feature team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 40
Raf_
in reply to: liqinomickey

Hi Same issue here! Inventor crash on replacing title block with no window to send report, also crashing on updating properties from vault which I think could be related to title block issues (updating properties from Vault to change name in title block etc.) and randomly crash on save again related to title block issue I think we run some iLogic rules on save to copy prompted entry between drawing sheets, worst update so far. We had to uninstall 2022.2 update to get inventor working again. On top of that there is an issue when you using custom font in the title block...

Message 14 of 40

Hi Shiue,

I have resent and included Li Mickey too.

Kind regards
Lee
Message 15 of 40

Hi Li,

I have resent the email to Johnson and yourself. I will try installing the update again and seeing if the ESDK add-in loads up.

Kind regards
Lee
Message 16 of 40

Hi @lee.hughesAA46F 

I am not receiving this email. Is there a file share site you could upload it to and send us the link via private message? Hover on my "MickeyLi" name besides my avatar, the tooltip bottom shows "Send Private Message" Thank you.

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 40

I reinstalled the update and I am still getting a hard crash and 'ESDK' add-in is not loaded. I have had to uninstall the update again however, I did notice that creating a new drawing with added parts/assemblies did not crash when attempting numerous title block edits however, when attempting to edit previously created drawings I would get the hard crash.

Kind regards

Lee

Message 18 of 40

Hi @lee.hughesAA46F 

MickeyLi_0-1637226977011.png

Is this the same workflow as yours?

1. Edit the "G-T SHEETMETAL WORK SHOP"
  2. Double Click the <Project>
  3. Choose Source as "Current Drawing"
  4. Choose Property as "Project"
  5. Add to below input box.
  6. OK to close "Format Text" dialog
  7. Click "Finish Sketch"
  8. Click "Save"

But this workflow is not crashing Inventor. Did I missed some step? Thank you.

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 40

That is correct Li,

I did notice it only seems to happen on existing drawings with an attached model and not new created ones. Please see previous post - hope this helps.
Message 20 of 40

Yes it helps. This data I can reproduce the issue but I have tried several times until it reproduces. I will try to find what might be the key step. Thank you for reporting this issue and sending us the data set. I will continue to reply in the forum thread.

Mickey Li
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report