Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor can't find part from library

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
meestersmartey
1028 Views, 20 Replies

Inventor can't find part from library

I have a common parts library with it's own folder and project. Another project has the library added in its options like this:

meestersmartey_0-1659321396860.png

When I created an assembly from parts with this library and pushed to GrabCAD, another team member got issues resolving the files when opening the assembly like this:

meestersmartey_1-1659321503138.png

The library is clearly added to the project, but the "Library" and "Found in Library" fields say the part is not even from the library. The CPL project is set up correctly as a CPL in GrabCAD, and the other user does have all their files up to date and library paths set correctly. Any suggestions?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hi! Purely based on the Resolve dialog, I suspect the folder structure on your machine is different than your team member who tried opening the assembly.

This particular part was supposed be in \Motor\ subfolder. But, there isn't a \Motor\ folder on that machine.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 21

Hello, thanks for the reply! I noticed that in the resolve dialog too. It should be looking in the \Motor\ subfolder in the added library folder named "SNCLib2.0", not a subfolder of the project directory.  accidentally messed up the reply

Message 4 of 21

Hello, thanks for the reply! I noticed that in the resolve dialog too. It should be looking in the \Motor\ subfolder in the added library folder named "SNCLib2.0", not a subfolder of the project directory.

Message 5 of 21

@johnsonshiue any updates on this so far? Apologies for being a bother.

Message 6 of 21

Hi! I am sorry I had never been able to reproduce the behavior. If possible, please share the files that exhibit the behavior (including the library). I am more than happy to take a look.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 21

Sure. The files that matter are structured like this:

D:
|-- FRC SuperNOVA
    |-- GrabCAD
    |   |-- CADathon Summer 2022
    |       |-- CADathon Summer 2022.ipj
    |       |-- test.iam
    |-- SNCLib2.0
        |-- SNCLib2.0.ipj
        |-- Motors
            |-- BAG Motor (217-3351).ipt
        |-- Bearings
            |-- Linear
                |-- 1'' ID x 1.5625'' OD x 2.25'' L Linear Bearing (WCP-0246).ipt

The files attached are the `CADathon Summer 2022` and `SNCLib2.0` folder. I only kept what's necessary in each so I could attach it here. Thanks so much for taking a look!

Message 8 of 21

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the files! I unzipped both files and activated "CADathon Summer" project. Then I edit the library path to my local "SNCLib2.0" folder. I can open test.iam file without any prompt.

Do I follow the workflow correctly?

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 21

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out. I believe this is the exact workflow. If possible could you send a picture of your "CADathon Summer 2022" project settings, or confirm that mine match exactly? If yes, should I delete my local files and retry linking the library or is there another factor that could be causing my client to not search the library?

Message 10 of 21

Hi! The only thing I change in the project setting is the library path. It was set to a path on your machine, which was not available on my machine. I just changed it to the local path. I did not change any other settings.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 21

Alright, that is what I assumed. Could the default VBA project make a difference? This is the only other possible thing I can think of that I've changed beyond default Inventor configuration. Other than that, I can not think of any difference or cause of this issue.

Message 12 of 21

Hi! I am not sure VBA project would matter, unless the VBA code is trying to access certain folders. I did not change the VBA project setting on my machine.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 21

Ok, thanks for confirming. I didn't think it was that, but wanted to check just in case. I am quickly running out of ideas. Here are the rest of my settings just in case there could be a difference elsewhere.

meestersmartey_0-1663202660697.png

Message 14 of 21
BDCollett
in reply to: meestersmartey

Change your Workspace to that \CADathon Summer 2022\ folder.

Message 15 of 21

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the settings! I am not seeing anything wrong. I don't understand why it works differently on my machine. Try unzipping the file to a different folder on D:. Then change the library path according, as I did. Does it work for you?

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 21

@BDCollett Thank you for the suggestion. Since the .ipj itself is located in this folder, it auto-corrects itself to "." when you hit the enter key.

@johnsonshiue I have tried unzipping the file to a different folder within D:. I then added the new library path, the SNCLib2.0 folder (1 level up from Motors and Bearings folder). I tried again with just the new path added and the original path deleted. Both resulted in the resolve file dialog. I opened the assembly in the Design Assistant to see where Inventor is looking for files. I got this dialog opening the assembly:

meestersmartey_0-1663387916726.png

Missing Files:

C:\Users\Dean\Documents\FRC Stuff\SNCLib2.0\Bearings\Linear\1'' ID x 1.5625'' OD x 2.25'' L Linear Bearing (WCP-0246).ipt
C:\Users\Dean\Documents\FRC Stuff\SNCLib2.0\Motors\BAG Motor (217-3351).ipt

The missing files of test.asm referenced in this dialog point towards files from the SNCLib2.0 library folder on a team members computer (the one who created this test assembly for me). Is this how it should look and should this still work with library paths set?

I also tried using only the files I uploaded. I unzipped both into my downloads folder and changed the library path of the Summer CADathon 2022 .ipj (in my downloads) to the SNCLib2.0 path in my downloads. It still came up with the same dialog when using completely separate projects and files.

I created my own similar assembly (but of course it works for me because I am inserting files myself) but I am curious to see if it works with your set up. Attached is the .asm. Here are the assembly references:

meestersmartey_1-1663389624551.png

Message 17 of 21

Hello @johnsonshiue , I am so sorry that I keep bothering you with this issue, just wondering if you have had the chance to test this out. Thanks!!

Message 18 of 21
BDCollett
in reply to: meestersmartey

When I have the SNCLib2.0 folder in the workspace it finds the files fine.

BDCollett_0-1664751110561.png

Otherwise it needs to see them as a library location when you save the assembly. 

Message 19 of 21

Hi! I did try the workflows but just as Ben indicated, I am not able to reproduce the problem unfortunately. There seems to be some issues in your environment.

What is the library path? Is it a mapped network drive or it is a UNC path?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 21

Hello, thank you for trying this out. Sorry for such a long delay, I did not see a notification come in. It is a standard path on a second drive (my "D:" drive). @BDCollett If I were to keep the library inside the project directory, yes, that would work I suppose.. though not the goal sadly. Is there a way to let inventor know you're trying to add a part from a library, not some other folder outside the project?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report