Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Apply Multi Colour Surface Colour For Rendering

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Yashasvi23481
2943 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor Apply Multi Colour Surface Colour For Rendering

Hi Support,

I am after designing vehicles and machinery for military background. As such I need to colour or apply texture to surface body like beige, green and off white yellow. Can I apply multi colour surface colour ? Also, in rendering studio, I want to create a background of sand battlefield or mountain ranges. Can we do in inventor or export from somewhere. I could see there is background of warehouse. 

I am after making concept drawing and require rendering so need to make realistic. Does illustrator work with inventor model ? Never done this before. Rendering taking long time any tips and tricks will be helpful. 

I need to submit by next Thursday so if you can suggest something today, I can read over weekend. 

Thank you in advance.

Attaching screenshot of what I am after. 

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Rendering

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

@-niels-, You are the subject matter expert of rendering to show more powerful comments here.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 3 of 14
-niels-

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:

Hi Support,

I am after designing vehicles and machinery for military background. As such I need to colour or apply texture to surface body like beige, green and off white yellow. Can I apply multi colour surface colour ?

Multicolour, as in camouflage? this would probably require the use of (seamless) textures, but yes it is possible.

Also, in rendering studio, I want to create a background of sand battlefield or mountain ranges. Can we do in inventor or export from somewhere. I could see there is background of warehouse.

Easiest would probably be to set your background color to an image and use realistic view and raytracing to make your render. (it works for studio as well)

I am after making concept drawing and require rendering so need to make realistic.

How realistic?, Inventor might not be the best choice for realistic rendering.

Does illustrator work with inventor model ? Never done this before. Rendering taking long time any tips and tricks will be helpful. 

Not sure what you're after here, Adobe illustrator? that's a vector program which doesn't work with inventor models directly.

You can export inventor drawings (idw,dwg) and import those in Illustrator for 2D line drawings...

I need to submit by next Thursday so if you can suggest something today, I can read over weekend. 

Thank you in advance.

Attaching screenshot of what I am after.

See my answers/questions in the quote.

Can you give more specific details on what you need help with, so others can chime in as well?

---edit---

Quick example of what i'm suggesting:

Tank_example.jpg

Random tank model from GrabCAD, using the image you provided as a background.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 14
WHolzwarth

If you have access to 3ds Max, you can get good results from there. But it's no easy learning path.

Here's an initial screenshot of a quick combination done there.

T01 in Bich.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hi All,

I tried to create background but its coming as cylindrical instead of flat. See the screenshot. I have designed the model in green. I have downloaded few sand battlefield from online. How do I import and mainly make this view as flat instead of cylinder.  Also, I was looking at some of youtube videos where there are lot of options in scene layout but I don't have them although I am using 2018.  I am attaching screenshots. When I try to load background image into inventor, it says it will accept only .styxml extension. How can I convert jpg to .styxml ? 

Regards,

Yash

Message 6 of 14
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: -niels-

Hi Neil,

How do we get that camouflage print on tank you have from Grab CAD ? Also you mentioned 3D Max, we got Professional, is 3D max a part of it ? 

Alternatively, are there any websites, we can download the vehicles and models from website ? Apart from GrabCAD I know sketch up but its only viewer not able to download. 

Regards,

Yash

Message 7 of 14
-niels-

Hi @Yashasvi23481,

In order to use a .jpg as a flat background you just have to change the background image in the appication options:

2018-07-02_0755.png

For the camouflage texture, start by downloading seamless textures from the web.

After you have some, you'll have to create a color using the desired texture:

2018-07-02_0801.png2018-07-02_0807.png

(don't forget to rename the color)

Hope that you can figure it out with the help of these images. Smiley Wink

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 14
-niels-

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:
Also you mentioned 3D Max, we got Professional, is 3D max a part of it ? 

Alternatively, are there any websites, we can download the vehicles and models from website ? Apart from GrabCAD I know sketch up but its only viewer not able to download.

I did not mention 3DS Max, Walter did... but if you're looking for realistic rendering it would be a good choice.

It has a steep learning curve though, but if you have a suite or collection (not just inventor) then you should have access to it.

A major advantage would be that there are many more models available to download for 3DS Max then there are for inventor, example:

http://www.cadnav.com/3d/Tank.html

Some sites might offer models that inventor can import easily, but you have to really search for them.

https://free3d.com/3d-models/tank

Some there list .sldprt as a format, which inventor can import...

Happy hunting!

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 14
Yashasvi23481

Hi All,

Thank you so much for help I finally managed to get it. Both the background and camouflage. I will continue to create other models and place them in environment. Rest of job will be done by graphic designer to render. 

Message 10 of 14
-niels-

Quick tip:
When you make your screenshot, go to the view tab, set to perspective and turn on all shadows.
Maybe set it to realistic view as well.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 14

Hi Neil,

Few more queries on rendering and textures. When I import model to 3d pdf for sharing or converted to other form of modelling like .obj or so, the receiver could not see the camouflage I applied on model like Russian military uniform patch or so....its coming as plain white...even 3d pdf doesn't show camouflage. 

Another thing I realised is even after turning off origin and custom made planes in view panel, its still showing up in 3d pdf. How do I get rid of them? 

One final query, is it possible, I can make the background into 3d as in when I go in studio for rendering I want to see the desert background in 3d viewable so when I rotate it, it moves. when can I download 3d backgrounds ?

Regards,

Yash

Message 12 of 14
-niels-

Who is this "Neil"? Smiley LOL

(lol, sorry... i'm already used to seeing my  name misspelled this way)

As for your questions... i don't really know that much about what is possible with 3D PDF's... but i'm doubting it is possible to get textures in there the way you want... maybe there are ways to set up a different template for the 3D PDF but i don't know how to do that. (might help with the planes in the pdf as well)

What are the conditions you need for sharing your files... i'd expect you'd make a render and show that, or do you need the receiver to render them as well?

What software do they have access to? if it's for rendering purposes then you might have to look into 3DS Max in order to use a "neutral" filetype for share an entire scene. (.fbx)

For your last question, Inventor doesn't allow you to make your own 3D environment scene (like the warehouse, desert road, etc.). At least not yet, to my knowledge.

Again, 3DS max would give you more options as you can use images as a panoramic / photosphere background that go around your model.

For 3DS Max you could download such background from places like https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/category/?c=outdoor

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 14
Yashasvi23481

Hi Niels,

Sorry for mistyping your name.  Receiver end is graphic designer who makes catalogues and scenes so receiver has access to .obj files as well as .fbx. I think planes I 3d pdf may be good for measurement purpose. I will try and get access to 3ds max.  No rendering to be done by me but receiver can photoshop they have illustrator software and sketch up viewer. 

Rendering a small assembly takes a while as it goes past through lot of iterations, is there a quicker way to apply rendering ? I have to render 8 models. There is an option in rendering saying until satisfaction..what does that mean I mean who sets satisfaction level ?

Thank you so much for your patience and kind support.

Regards,

Yash

Message 14 of 14
-niels-

Hi Yash,

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:

Receiver end is graphic designer who makes catalogues and scenes so receiver has access to .obj files as well as .fbx. ... No rendering to be done by me but receiver can photoshop they have illustrator software and sketch up viewer. 

Photoshop, illustrator and Sketchup Viewer are not rendering programs, so if you're not doing the rendering i'm wondering if your receiver can actually do so... but that's for you to find out.

If you don't have access to 3DS Max through a suite or collection then you'll need to purchase it.

A possible free alternative could be Blender, but you'll have to learn how that works just like Max.

(and it doesn't directly import Inventor models, you'd have to export/import with a neutral format like .step)

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:
Rendering a small assembly takes a while as it goes past through lot of iterations, is there a quicker way to apply rendering ? I have to render 8 models. There is an option in rendering saying until satisfaction..what does that mean I mean who sets satisfaction level ?

Yes, rendering will take a while depending on how fast your system is. Inventor uses the CPU for rendering, so the more cores your processor has, the faster it will go.

The render option "until satisfactory" means it will keep rendering until you are satisfied with the quality and pause it to save the image.

A possibly (slightly) faster way to render would be by using the realistic view/raytrace option instead of going into Studio.

2018-07-05_0826.png

It's how i made the preview image i showed in my earlier post with the tank.
Visual style needs to be set to realistic for Raytrace to work, i also turn on all shadows and set it to perspective.
I chose "the alps" for this, but if you're working with a background image you'll have to play around with the lights in order to match your image.
Depending on which quality setting you choose (low, draft or high) it will take more time to render as well.
The more complex your model, the longer it will take.

Hope this is helpful information for you.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report