Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2018 files on 2017?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1095 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2018 files on 2017?

How can I use Incentor 2018 files on another computer with Inventor 2017?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

You can Open / reference them, but can't directly work on them in 2017.4

https://www.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115002610585-Inventor-2017-4-Subscription-update-adds-backward-compatibility-for-Inventor-2018

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
JDMather

You could save as STEP and Direct Edit in 2017 (assuming everything was done all wrong in 2018).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: mdavis22569

@JDMather brings it to a new direction ...that should be asked

Why does it need to be opened in 2017? What's the use or purpose?  WIll it need to be edited / changed?

Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

In addition to what's been stated, you could also use the Feature Recognition tool depending on how complex things are. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

So I'm a student at high school and the computers at the school use Inventor 2017, recently I downloaded the free trial of Inventor 2018 worked on it. However, the files from 2018 won't be opened in 2017. I can't update the Inventor at my school because it is administrator locked. Is there any way I can download Inventor 2017?

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

.... Is there any way I can download Inventor 2017?

Yes, if you go back to www.autodesk.com/edcommunity you should see that you can download Inventor 2017.

Student VersionsStudent VersionsIf you have plenty of room on your hard drive - I would just leave 2018 installed and just be careful to use 2017 to edit your files.  The first time you start 2017 you will get a Registry warning that you can ignore.  Be careful about double clicking on files to open as you could open in the wrong version, but I think once you have opened in 2017 they will continue to open in 2017 even if you use double click method of opening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report