Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2018 Convert Assembly Step File to Single Part For Import Option

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jletcher
2995 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2018 Convert Assembly Step File to Single Part For Import Option

Can someone from Autodesk explain why every release you are making things harder and make more steps to do something..

I really want to know..

I went to make sure step files import the same way. Come to find out the don't.

I no longer can take a Assembly step file and convert to a single part. Why would you take this option out?

Now instead of just clicking that option now I have to save the file start a part file derive the assembly > break link > save as a part file then I have to go delete all unwanted files..

Please Autodesk explain the reasoning taking this option out I really want to know why you insist on making things harder. I remember when the part option was asked for now you just take it out..

Is it your goal to make Inventor the most time consuming design software?

Now I am lucky this was a 2 part step file but my clients get large assembly step files but only needs a dummy part file. Now you force them to have to find all the files some could get as large as 2000 parts and delete them all..

Please I really really want to know your logic in this.... This totally makes no sense....

This is NOT an improvement..........

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: More beef with 2018

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: jletcher

@jletcher

Unless I'm reading your information incorrectly..   Smiley Very Happy  This change has nothing to do with Inventor 2018.  This workflow was changed in Inventor 2016 when ANYCAD was introduced...

Anyhow I think this 2015 article will assist you: https://synergiscadblog.com/2015/12/15/inventor-2016-anycad-workflow/

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
jletcher
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I went from 2012 to 2018 so I have no clue what was in 2016.

Thanks for your reply that will help eliminate extra steps. Still extra step but not as many..

Don't understand why they could not leave that option in when just converting step files.

Message 4 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@jletcher

Since you made a big leap..  Smiley Very Happy

In Inventor 2017, you can now reference a STEP file into your model (ANYCAD) and there's no need to convert it to Inventor file format.  Here's an article about Inventor ANYCAD.  Granted its based on when ANYCAD was introduced in the 2016 version, but like I said the 2017 version now supports STEP files as being referenced.

Due to your leap in Inventor versions, you don't have enough background or experience with ANYCAD.  For me I would pick the ANYCAD interface over any legacy Inventor workflow.

Update:  Yes I'm trying to sell you on ANYCAD..  Smiley Wink  For Inventor 2017.4, you can now use ANYCAD to reference (open/place in assembly only) in Inventor 2018 files.  Making Inventor 2018 kind of backwards compatible..  In addition Inventor 2018.1 supports reference modeling to Solid Edge CAD files.  And one more final thing..  Inventor ANYCAD allows for drawing underlays and projected geometry from 2D drawings (https://synergiscadblog.com/2015/06/16/turning-2d-flat-geometry-into-3d-2/) to make 3D models (and there has been updates to that workflow in Inventor 2017 and 2018 as well).

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 8
jletcher
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I have to have them as Inventor files 95% of the files my clients use are for library parts. Conveyor chain, sprockets, nozzles and such 5% of the time it will be other machines to complete the layout. This option may work for that I will have to test on next machine.

I will read more on this new addition.

Thanks for the reply...

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

As Mark indicated here, the change was to accommodate AnyCAD workflow. In general, AnyCAD prefers level matching to track associativity. So, an assembly imports as a part is skipping levels which is not compatible with AnyCAD workflow.

Regardless, you can still import an assembly as a part without having to derive it. The workflow is changed slightly. You need to start with a part and then use Import command -> select the STEP assembly. You will end up with a multi-solid body part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
SBix26

@jletcher Like you I always import STEP files, haven't so far had any use for the AnyCAD workflow.  But one thing about the new workflow is so nice that it's worth the few extra clicks: you can load the model from the dialog box and then pick and choose which components or solids from the STEP file you wish to include in the import.  For a vendor component that moves (actuator, for instance), I just do the import twice, selecting different bodies for each one, then assemble the two.  Saves a lot of time deleting unneeded interior components, for instance.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.1
Windows 7 SP1

Message 8 of 8

Two things that bug me about the way this works. First is that when you do a new part and import a .STP you loose the ability to have Inventor automatically use the imported file name as the part name when saving for the first time. The second thing is that when a .SAT file is brought in the window below comes up before the options window(same as with a .STP). It would be nice if this option was available for all file types so everything worked the same. Like others, where I am at we don't have a need for the AnyCad work flow.

sat import.png

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report