Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2008

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
350 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2008

Hello everyone, does anybody know how to get a sheet metal pattern from part file of a pipe. I had no trouble doing this using the rip feature in newer inventor versions but I am doing a job with version 2008 and the same process does not work. Any tips? thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Why would it be any different?  If there is no Rip tool, then you create the same kind of gap using the tools available-- Extrude, Sweep, etc.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Rip tool works differently its used in corners only. I have no trouble
using it on a sq tube but it doesn't apply to a round pipe. Im clearly
missing something.
Message 4 of 5
cadman777
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm using Inventor 2010. When I need a wrap-pattern of a pipe so the shop guys can use it to trace on the pipe ends, I derive the original part into a new sheetmetal part, slice it long-wise like Sam said, then delete all outside faces and keep only the center face. Then thicken it, then select the inside face and flatten it with the correct sheetmetal settings (usually k=.50 for rolled shapes).

The reason I slice it that way without using Rip is b/c sometimes rip doesn't work. The reason I Derive the part is b/c w/the FrameGenerator the copes are not 'true'. So I have to do it manually. Doing it manually also lets me put the rip exactly where I want it.

Also, another reason I do it using a Derived part is b/c there may be multiple parts in the model, and if I split the parent part instead of Deriving it into a new part, then that part won't Roll-Up in the BOM, so it messes up my BOM. Using a Derived part bypasses that problem. That usually happens when using FrameGenerator. However, if you use that one part through out your model, then you can just do the same thing to that part and not waste time Deriving it, b/c it won't mess up the BOM. But then you'd have to cope it 'true' or else it won't unroll. Lotta options when doing this.

Also remember you need to used the child view (the new sheetmetal part) for the flatpattern on the drawing. Then if the parent part changes, make sure you manually check the child part to be sure it updated properly so the drawing view is correct.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: cadman777

Thank you @cadman777  and @SBix26  I will try the steps provided. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report