Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2008 Startup Error Message

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1526 Views, 19 Replies

Inventor 2008 Startup Error Message

We have just installed IV2008 on a brand new system runing XP. We are getting the following error messages when the app is started unde the user profile
"Uninitialized Text Resource
Cannot open SOFTWARE key Software in registry.
Problems encountered while initializing the application.
Cannot open SOFTWARE key Software in registry.
Cannot load applets from registry."

I have been able to determine that by giving the Local Users Group write permitions to the full HKLM reg key the app starts, but I want to ping it down to the specific registry keys that the access is needed, preventing unnecessary access.

Can anyone tell me what reg key IV requires access to besides the "Software\Autodesk" ????

Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Give your users Power or Local Admin rights...

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP1, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I know that this would fix the problem, but I'm afraid that it is against company policy. that is why I need to know exactly to what Reg Keys does Inventor requires the user to have write permissions.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

> Can anyone tell me what reg key IV requires access to besides the "Software\Autodesk" ????

In respecting your company's policies, what's the harm in giving them permissions to that entire key (the Autodesk one only) ?

Otherwise, this one,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion12.0
*might* be sufficient.

Didn't Autodesk change things in IV11 or so that allowed non-admins or non-power users full access to run Inventor ?
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

I have the same problem. In my environment, a Windows Server 2003 AD domain using a mandatory profile, I give my users full rights to HKEY_CURRENT_USER as each logged-on user gets a clean copy of the profile. This did not help me. I REALLY need to get Inventor 2008 running ASAP.

I get messages such as

Cannot open SOFTWARE key Software in registry

and

Uninitialized text resource

when attempting to start Inventor 2008. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel Seber
Manager, Engineering Computing Support
Tennessee Tech University
jlseber@tntech.edu
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

A quick follow-up: registry tools tell me that Inventor is trying to open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software for writing, I assume, as it is open for reading by everyone. I definitely can not open that whole hive for writing.

I did double-check to see that it is HKLM\Software, not HKCU\Software that I get consistant "access denied" errors on during Inventor 2008's startup.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have patched Inventor to SP2.

Thanks,

-jls
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

You are trying to strangle your users.... what specifically are you afraid
of???

wrote in message news:5856372@discussion.autodesk.com...
A quick follow-up: registry tools tell me that Inventor is trying to open
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software for writing, I assume, as it is open for reading
by everyone. I definitely can not open that whole hive for writing.

I did double-check to see that it is HKLM\Software, not HKCU\Software that I
get consistant "access denied" errors on during Inventor 2008's startup.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have patched Inventor to SP2.

Thanks,

-jls
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Did anyone ever figure this one out? If so, can you post your solution?

I too am faced with this problem, I need to get Inventor 2008 working on a computer where all accounts are "user" access level, and I cannot give everyone full permission to HKLM\Software. I am actually in education, and we cannot give students full access to this much of the registry, as we have over 120 applications that we must maintain.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

Under HKLM\Software is another Autodesk entry. Open it up first... Sadly, it appears to be a duplicate of HKCU\Software\Autodesk too. This is exactly why there are different levels of user permissions. A "limited" user, who is supposed to be able to run Inventor, only needs permission to HKCU, not HKLM.
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

>You are trying to strangle your users.... what specifically are you afraid of???

I realize this is a rather late reply, but welcome to the world of "managed" PCs. This is very, very common in restricting users and normally for good enough reasons. It's a different world when you're supporting 10,000 PCs vs 10. If 10 users (in the same office/location) buggered up their machines because they have full admin rights, it's probaly a lot easier to fix compared to fixing hundreds of PCs, often all over the globe.

Where I work, most of us do have full admin rights (and rarely screw up our PCs) but if I didn't, and I submitted a help-desk ticket requesting admin rights in order to run Inventor, it would be denied. I could escalate it and tell them it's necessary but without something from Autodesk stating admin rights are req'd, I wouldn't get it. Security comes first .... yes, even if that means not using my PC !!!
Message 11 of 20
gerardsweeney

Did anyone ever get this sorted out? We're having exactly the same issues here, for exactly the same reason.

To compound matters, if I give users write to HKLM\Software, then it works.

However, if I go through each and every sub-key of HKLM\Software, and give users write access to it, then it doesn't!!

I have run regmon. I have run snapshots. None of which shows anything being written to this HKLM\Software key - it only shows the various subkeys.

The company we purchased it from (Man and Machine) say that giving write access to HKLM\Software\Autodesk and a couple of folders should let it work.. This allows us to run Autocad, but Inventor still consistently fails with the popup box listed at the top of this discussion.

This is slowly driving me mad!
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Power User rights

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 13 of 20
gerardsweeney

Hi, Dennis..

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, like the user above, I am categorically forbidden from elevating the user access rights of the target user base.
We use this application in a High School.. If I give out Power User rights, I might as well just delete the hard drive before hand, and save the kids the bother! 🙂

For what it's worth, this is the 4th version of AutoCAD and 3rd version of Inventor that we have used and I have been able to get it working as restricted user level by altering the permissions on half a dozen registry keys.

If it helps any, this installation was created using the network deployment, in much the same way as we have for the previous versions.

Cheers,
Gerard
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Then you will have to set the registry.

Have you looked at HK_CURRENT_USER ?

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Anyone figure this out? I have a similar issue with Inventor 2008 in a Gov Defense Contractor fasion. Inventor works just fine, Content Center does not open up and its on a shared server managed by Vault 2008/SQL/ADMS console. Administrators can access, non-admin, 99% of the environment, can not. All non-admins are already power users. Regmon see's nothing, the place or open from content centers act like fake buttons, nothing happens no errors, no dialog, no GUI.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Not without a whole lot more info and time. I would bill out my time for
help on this one. Have you asked this question in the autodesk.vault
discussion group?

Have you called your reseller for assistance?

--
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP2, IV2010 ProPcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB
XP Pro SP3, XP Pro64 SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Reseller had nothing, AutoCAD web support swears power users is all that needs to happen. I will try the vault discussion forums.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

16 5.07289743 Inventor.exe:3576 OpenKey HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version SUCCESS Access: 0x20019
17 5.07319736 Inventor.exe:3576 QueryValue HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version\RegistryVersion SUCCESS RegistryVersion12.0
18 5.07322502 Inventor.exe:3576 CloseKey HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version SUCCESS
19 5.073246 Inventor.exe:3576 OpenKey HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion12.0\Content NOT FOUND

This is all I get when running regmon while user logged on.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Do users have full R/W network access to the Content Center files location?
Sorry, I can't put much time into this without pay. Hopefully someone in the
Vault group can help.

--
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP2, IV2010 ProPcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB
XP Pro SP3, XP Pro64 SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
Message 20 of 20
Michal_Hrcka_Autodesk

Hi Aaron,
could you be more specific. Could you publish the Inventor version + OS version + user settings. I'll take a closer look to this issue.

Michal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report