Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Inventor 2022 update issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Jklein9H5FY
1390 Views, 4 Replies

Initial Inventor 2022 update issues

Updated yesterday afternoon from Inventor '21 to '22. Created my first drawing and it allowed me to save it without issue, but further changes could not be save because I got the following message....

'22 error.JPG

so I thought I'd open the drawing in '21 to see if it could be save in the older program, but then I got this message...

'21 error.JPG

So then first, why can't I save the drawing changes in '22 as I progress with the drawing? I'm the only one in the project so there isn't another user accessing the file.

Why can't earlier versions ('21) open the newer version ('22)? I've looked for a "save as version" on the application options tabs but not finding anything.

Is there a solution to these two initial problems I've encountered thus far in Inventor 2022?

Thanks all......

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
andrewiv
in reply to: Jklein9H5FY

First, you've never been able to open new file versions in an older version of the software.  The best that is available now is the AnyCAD workflow.  But that only allows you to open model files in an older version, not drawings.  And even then the models are "dumb solids", you cannot change the features that make up the model.

As to why you are unable to save the drawing in 2022, are you using a Vault project?  Have you migrated your project file to 2022?  I honestly don't know if migrating the project file makes a difference, but it is something that I do every time I update.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, like Andrew indicated, opening a file (saved in a newer version) in an older version is not allowed. Inventor does not support AutoCAD dwg-like workflow. You can only reference ipt and iam files (saved in a newer version) in an older version. For example, you can reference 2022 ipt and iam files in Inventor 2021 (with .3 update installed).

Regarding Vault, Inventor 2022 will need to work with Vault 2022. It won't work with Vault 2021 or earlier. You will need to upgrade Vault also.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
Jklein9H5FY

Guys, thanks for the info about new files being opened on earlier software. 👍 I the past, when I updated (AutoCAD), I kept the older version for a week or so to verify it would work as I was used to before deleting it from my laptop. I guess this is the first issue I've had updating Inventor where I've tried to open with an old version. My co-worker confirmed that you've never been able to open new with old because I've updated drawings in Inventor prior to his software being updated and he would have to pull the trigger on the update before he could get into them. Guess I'm still young enough to learn something! LOL

Still wrestling with the other issue......

Message 5 of 5
Jklein9H5FY

Believe I figured out my problem... the assembly was started in Inventor '21 and I updated to '22 and then made a few assembly modifications and during the update of the assembly drawing the issue appeared. How I was able to finally "resolve" the saving problem was to open and save each item of the assembly as '22 parts and then it allowed me to save the drawing without the message appearing.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report