Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW links - Shrinkwrap Parts list too long

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
andrew_canfield
519 Views, 6 Replies

IDW links - Shrinkwrap Parts list too long

Hello

I don't think this can be done, I'd like confirmation if possible.

Place a parts list next to a shrinkwrap & the Inventor IDW total occurrence counter increases (lower RH corner of idw).

Can this be restricted using code?

The shrinkwrap is a subassembly within a General Arrangement (one of 50) - the contents of the shrinkwrap aren't required but a parts list showing which shrinkwraps are used is required. (only the top level is needed)

When checking into the data management system all the links are recorded too . The only one required is knowing if the shrinkwrap is upto date with it's parent - is this a post for the wish list?

I can't find a workflow within Inventor which does anything similar.

Basically I'd like the shrinkwrap to just be like a single part when placed on a drawing & not have any references. These only appear when a parts list is added to the drawing.

Regards

Andrew

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: andrew_canfield

Hello Andrew,

Have you try Suppress with base component? 

If you suppress it, Vault still can find the reference files and the shrinkwrap part is keep individually, after that, if you want to keep sync, just unsuppress it and update the shrinkwrap part again.

Hope it helps!

Untitled9.png

Xun
Message 3 of 7
andrew_canfield
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Hi Xun

I'd broken the link, it's the same result suppressing links.

I'd like the Shrinkwrap to have only one link.

If you shrinkwrap a 100 part .iam & place the shrinkwrap on the drawing there will be 1 link.

Add a parts list to the drawing & they’ll be 101 links – this is what I’d like to stop.

Don’t think there’s a way within inventor.

There is a 5000 part assembly with 100 000 links – it takes a long time to open!

Regards

Andrew

Message 4 of 7
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: andrew_canfield

Hi Andrew,

You are talking about break link which should be a solution if you do not sync up the latest status again in your end, however, you are still considering the possible change in the main truck and wish the shrinkwrap part to be updated. 

In this case, it is impossible right now.

The possible workaround more like twice derives. Say you have a shrinkwrap part and create a new part, derived the shrinkwrap part in. Then, the newly created part are connect to the shrinkwrap part only.

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 5 of 7
andrew_canfield

Thankyou,

That's great, saves me from trying to find a workaround.

Regards

Andrew

Message 6 of 7
andrew_canfield

I've found a fix is to place the shrinkwrap part directly into the assembly & only use the Master Level of Detail.

Is this documented anywhere?

The shrinkwrap does not need the link breaking & a right click will check for updates.

It would be good to know an update was required without having to check - is this possible?

Regards

Andrew

Message 7 of 7

Hi Andrew,

This will work because the shrinkwrap is just like any regular derive assembly part. The need to have "Check for Update" is to avoid a cyclic update. When a shrinkwrap is in a substitute LOD, it is actually a derive assembly part of the source assembly. "Check for Update" is acting like a valve control to avoid an endless update. The valve only opens when the update is needed. Once the update is done, it will be closed again.

I believe this behavior is greatly improved in the in-development project, Model States. If you are interested, please sign up Inventor Feedback Community (https://autode.sk/InventorBeta) to try the latest testable build (browser-based and install-free).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report