Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly initial save for each member

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
mikko.m
1246 Views, 13 Replies

iAssembly initial save for each member

I have an Iassembly with iPart as children . After modifying iParts table and generating it's members it prompts to make initial save for each member in iAssembly. Is there workaround for this?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2019.3
Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: mikko.m

@mikko.m

Are you generating the members of the iAssembly?  If you just made changes to the iAssembly table it shouldn't be prompting you to save each member of the table.

Can you show us your workflow (using Autodesk Screencast: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast).

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 14
mikko.m
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Not yet, it prompted this initial save window first after opening iAssembly. Changes were made to iPart table.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 4 of 14
mikko.m

I tried to replicate error with sample files but those worked fine.

Assembly structure

+iAssembly1

->iAssembly2

->Part.ipt

+iAssembly2

->iPart

->part2.ipt

iAssembly and ipart contains dozens of members. I have to test more and get back.

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 5 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe these member files did not exist on disk before you make changes to the iPart and iAssembly right? The recommended workflow is to generate the iPart members by selecting member nodes in the browser -> Generate files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 14
mikko.m
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue

I was able to reproduce the problem. I added workplane columns to iParts table. initial_save1.JPG

Then generated all the members and saved the file. Opened the iAssembly containing the iPart and then generated iAssembly members. Then it prompts this window for each member (initial save). In this folder I can see the old files getting deleted and replaced by the new ones.

initial_save.jpg

initial_save2.JPG

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 14
mikko.m

Sample files attached.

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I understood how iAssembly works correctly, this is actually how iAssembly works. When there is any change in iAssembly factory prompting iAssembly member to update, the existing member will be deleted from disc and a new version of the member files will be created.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
mikko.m

Ok but then there has to be way not to prompt this for each member. It's very slow to click OK for 100 times.

save_ifamily_ok.JPG

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, I am not aware of a workflow to suppress the Save dialog for each iAssembly member save. Some users create another assembly like a container. Then place all the members in this container assembly. When there is a need to update, all members will be updated and listed in the same Save dialog.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
mikko.m

Can members be placed directly from the folder that iPart/iAssembly creates?

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 12 of 14
johnsonshiue

Yes! They are actually like any other Inventor file. The only difference is that they are totally driven by the iPart/iAssembly factory (except custom iPart members) and they have a link back to the factory file. Other than that, they behave like regular Inventor files.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 14
mikko.m

Ok, thanks.

Now there is idea to suppress the save dialog:

Option to suppress the Save dialog for each iAssembly member save

Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 14 of 14
Paul1084

Hi all,

I think I have found a work around for this... Locate a heavy object, place said object on the enter key.... go and make a cup of tea... return to find all members generated! voila!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report