Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unfold/unwrap part, keeping non-continuous line straight

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
529 Views, 1 Reply

How to unfold/unwrap part, keeping non-continuous line straight

Hi Guys!

Goal:

I have a 3D Solid part which has a complex curve that I want to convert/unfold/unwrap/flatten it, to be able to 3D print it with flexible filament to save material and print time printing it with a complex curved surface.

Context:

I have tried the unwrap function and found that it comes up short when I tried to keep the center of the part linear (crucial as there 2 holes used for assembly after printing).

Please note that the part attached is only 1 half of it as I have failed to get the other half mirrored, so the 2 hole I dont want to distort are semi-circles instead.

I have tried:

1. mirroring the part
  2. mirroring the surface where I use thicken to derive the solid

I have thoughted that if I could create the full solid instead of halves, it will mitigate the problem. But I really dont see how would that be actually doable.

Do let me know if you require any additional files.

PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT, BEEN RACKING MY HEAD OVER THIS FOR THE PAST 1-2 MONTHS.

THANK YOU!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I don't believe Unfold can handle this body. Unfold can only flatten developable faces with uniform thickness. The particular body does not fulfill either requirement.

Unwrap was designed to flatten any face tangentially continuous. This body does not exhibit such condition either. I don't think you can easily flatten the whole thing in one shot. Your best bet is probably unwrapping pieces. Then use Move Bodies command (Modify -> expand the panel) to relocate the flatten surfaces.

Could you try it out?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report