Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to type in approximate symbol on Parts list?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1026 Views, 5 Replies

How to type in approximate symbol on Parts list?

Hi There,

I'd like to use approximate symbol for length as shown below. The alt 247 doesn't seem to work? Can someone help out. Thanks

2018-06-28 11_19_43-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018 - [233-000-276.dwg].png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

Take a look at this blog article (video enclosed).  Near the end, at the 7:30 mark, it goes over how to enter Unicode characters.  It defines how to enable it in the register if you have not done so already.  It also mentions using the Microsoft character map which is pretty easy to do without Unicode.

The Unicode you gave from the approximate symbol is not what I expected?

Unicode Character.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi J Hackney,

Thanks for your help. I'm creating a drawing for a multi-body part where i haven't made components so I don't have a BOM.

Do you know how to get around this. 

Message 4 of 6
jhackney1972

It does not matter where you are entering text, the same process outlined in the blog article video can be used.  If you are editing a Parts List, that does not have a BOM behind it, you have to enter static values WHICH IS NOT A GOOD IDEA since the values will not update.  In the screencast I do just that but again, it is still a poor idea.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 6
Cris-Ideas

I tried to define user text parameter but it turned not possible to use it as QTY.

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 6 of 6
Cris-Ideas
in reply to: Cris-Ideas

Sorry,

It turned out possibleparts list estimation.png

So how I did that:

In the part:

1) Export parameter you want to use for the value

2) Use "custom popery format" to format value (precision, unit string) as you want

3) go to iProperties -> Custom and define custom text property (you can chose any name) I chose "QTYL" in the value field for this property type formula "=~ <name of you user defined and exported parameter>" of course you can use any symbol you like and compose any value you want.

In the parts list:

1) edit column format and enable value substitution

2) select new property and type name of your custom iPropety you have created. In my case "QTYL"

DONE

Hope this will work for you.

For a moment I had some doubts if this was possible because I did not succeeded at first attempt. 

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report