Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helix wont flatten

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
austin.p
598 Views, 7 Replies

Helix wont flatten

Hey all!

I have this helix I've drawn which is attached that I cant for the life of me seem to get flattened. Any advice on how to flatten it would be greatly appreciated. I have cut it into 2 piece where the middle plane is and tried to separate smaller parts, and all I seem to get is " NO BEND FOUND NOTHING TO COMPUTE".

Thanks,

Austin

Austin Peyser R. S. Mechanical L.L.C
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: austin.p

Hi Austin,

Attached is a file which might give you an idea how to handle it.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 8
austin.p
in reply to: IgorMir

I know how to make that style of helix and how to make it work. For some reason I'm missing something with he drawing I attached, its just a little different style. Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks,

Message 4 of 8
mslosar

Things have to even for inventor to flatten them. It doesn't flatten helical shapes on it's own because as they spiral down the middle, the od's and id's change as they go - hence the error you get.

This was asked before and someone provided a name of a 3rd party program that can do it, but inventor itself does not do it.

Message 5 of 8
SBix26

@austin.p

This one works.  I can't say why your attempt doesn't, because the part is cylindrical, but starting with a cylinder is how I did this one.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.0.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 8
austin.p
in reply to: SBix26

Interesting! Thanks for the information I will have to try doing it that way. For some reason lofting it like I do for the helix just wont work for me. I've attached the Assembly of what I'm trying to accomplish encase you were curious.

Thanks,

Austin

Message 7 of 8
kelly.young

Hello @austin.p I don't think that Loft Surface is the best way to make the helix, instead I used Sweep Surface

Making everything into one 3D Sketch is sometimes problematic and difficult to control accurately. I would recommend simplifying it into separate Sketches or utilize 2D Sketches whenever possible that use key Projected Geometry to define locations.

Not sure what you were trying to do with the Work Plane Split and Combine, but probably just messing around trying to make it work.

See the attached part, hope it helps!

FYI EDIT: Assembly.iam files are just spacial relationship holders, all Part.ipt within the assembly are needed.

This can be accomplished with Pack & Go as .zip. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 8 of 8
austin.p
in reply to: kelly.young

Thanks for all the help everyone! Now i just need to spend some more time learning Inventor! Alot of these issues I've seemed to of had, seem to be just learning what the most effective way of drawing my part is. 

Thanks!

Austin 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report