Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove mirror image?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1039 Views, 10 Replies

I want to lose the reflection of the workshop in front of the sphere while still maintaining the luster of the material?

Is it possible to do that?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Pick a different Lighting Style.  You're using Old Warehouse; try Two Lights, or Light Theme IBL, or Grey Room.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

JDMather_0-1618377447009.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Stop like it's still there.
How do I lose the foreground image while retaining the luster of the material?

Thank you so much.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Can I replace the default images in Inventor?

Message 6 of 11
-niels-

Not sure what you really want, there always has to be some reflection.

The IBL based lighting use a 360 degree image to provide light and reflection, so you can't remove those.

If you use a "light" based style (one light, two lights) then you can control how many lights are reflected and the reflected image is controlled in the application options. (.dds file)

Now, what i expect you're after might be something like this:
afbeelding.png

(appearances used are "chrome polished" and "Copper - Satin")

At some point i created a .dds without any "noise" for testing purposes, i'll attach it and you can give that a try.

I recommend you have at least 1 light active in your scene, otherwise you'll lose that "luster".

Hope this helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is not an easy task actually. If I understood your request correctly, you would like to use the "Old Warehouse" lighting style but you don't want the scene to be reflected on the face.

The only way to change the behavior is in the appearance itself. Go to Appearance Browser and find the active appearance for the given part. Edit the appearance style -> change the Finish to Satin or Brush (non-polished style).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

>"Im would like to use the "Old Warehouse" lighting style but you don't want the scene to be reflected on the face."

>>>Thank you very much for understanding my request

>"The only way to change the behavior is in the appearance itself. Go to Appearance Browser and find the active appearance for the given part. Edit the appearance style -> change the Finish to Satin or Brush (non-polished style)."
>>>I don't want a reflection, but still want to keep the shine, The request is ridiculous, but is there any way to do it?
>>>Or can I change the "Old Warehouse" to another image I like?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

I have tried it many times but it still failed. Can you give more detailed instructions?

thank you so much

Message 10 of 11
-niels-

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you give more detailed instructions?

Ok, i'll give it a go. You may have done a few of these steps, so skip as needed.

First off, unzip the .dds file i attached and put it in a folder where you can find it.

I believe searching for it in the application options defaults to the "texture" folder, as set on the "file" tab.

Anywhere will do though, but within your workspace is preferred.

Then set this "test.dds" as your reflection environment on the "colors" tab in the Application options.

(as shown in the screenshot of my post)

Once you apply this setting, most of the work should be done and all you need is to change your lighting style to one that uses the .dds instead of an IBL environment.

To change the lighting style, go to the "View" tab and from the dropdown select either "one light" or "two lights"

(anything with a light bulb instead of a "sun")

afbeelding.png

If you've set it to one of those you should see the effect of the .dds file.

You can then go back to the dropdown and hit "settings' to change values for the lighting style like the amount of lights, the brightness, ambiance, etc.

There will be a reflection of the light source, but you can play with the position of that light in the settings.

You can turn off all lights, but you will lose the "shine" from the reflected light.

Just to note, the "test.dds" i posted is a "cubemap" with all six sides in a gray color.

This is the reason why the mirror surface (chrome polished) in my screenshot shows completely gray.

If i'd made a full white .dds file, it would've reflected the full white and looked quite different.

I do have a full white file and played with a gradient black to white as well, but they are tests and don't really add to any "feel of realism" in my opinion.

Let me know if this is sufficient instruction or if you need help with something specific.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Your request is reasonable. It is not ridiculous. Inventor as a mechanical CAD modeling tool, does not have the extensive tool to set up the scene. I guess you may want to try it on 3DS Max or Fusion 360 Rendering.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report