Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to reimport modified obj without inventor using the past obj model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
imi25KUMS8
260 Views, 5 Replies

how to reimport modified obj without inventor using the past obj model

Background

Hi. I'm new to Autodesk Inventor and I was using freecad in the past.

I made parts of the robot I want in freecad and exported to obj. I then imported to autodesk inventor and tried doing assembly and I noticed an error in my original freecad design. I fixed the error and tried reimporting the obj but it keeps the past obj file that was imported unless I change the name of the obj file. The current solution I have is to create a new assembly project each time I noticed a mistake in the design.

Question

Is there a way to import an updated obj file with the same name without creating a new assembly file each time?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pcrawley
in reply to: imi25KUMS8

It sounds like you would like the OBJ file to update the Inventor model.  (If you simply "import" then Inventor will treat each import as a completely new part/assembly.)

Inventor can link (as opposed to import) certain 3rd party file formats - unfortunately OBJ isn't one of them.

If you export a STEP file from freecad, then when you bring it into Inventor you will be presented with the option to link the file.  This means you can go back and edit the model in freecad - export over the old STEP file - and the Inventor model will show the update.

Peter
Message 3 of 6
imi25KUMS8
in reply to: pcrawley

Omg. Thank you for the quick reply! I'll try this and get back to you.

Message 4 of 6
imi25KUMS8

Hi. I exported to .step file and imported both the old and new versions of the step file but I didn't get asked for the option to link and I got the old file instead. This also happened for the file that I previously imported as a .obj with the same name. Is there something I'm missing?

Message 5 of 6
pcrawley
in reply to: imi25KUMS8

When you first import the Step file, you select this:

1.jpg

The step file appears as a part/assembly - but the browser icon indicates that it is a "Reference Model".

Modify the original model.  Save the changes to the same Step file (so you overwrite it - don't create a new one).

Switch back to Inventor and you'll see this lightening strike beside the reference model indicating there is an update available:

2.jpg

Update the model (lightening strike icon on the toolbar right at the top of the screen), and the modified step file appears: 

3.jpg

Peter
Message 6 of 6
imi25KUMS8

Thank you! I just tried from scratch and it worked. I think this doesn't work if you already have the obj file with the same name imported. But this definitely solved the problem from happening again. Thanks a bunch!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report