Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open an inventor earlier version file in older version ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
razamunir
166 Views, 4 Replies

How to open an inventor earlier version file in older version ?

I have recieved an Inventor 2022 version file from my client, How can I open it in the Inventor 2018. 

How can we save Inventor 2022 files in older verson Inventor 2018 ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blandb
in reply to: razamunir

You can open older versions into newer versions, but there isn't an option to save as an older version. You could step the file out and then the older version could open the model that way. But the features would be gone.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Just to clarify a bit. There isn't a way to "open" newer files on an older Inventor. It is more like a Derive workflow. You may derive the geometry from the newer files to an older Inventor.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
James_Willo

Hi, we call this 'FutureCAD,' you would normally need to make sure that you have at least 2018.3 installed as this is when the translators come out. However, you are skipping 4 or 5 versions so I don't think this will work. 
@johnsonshiue , would they need to install Inventor 2021.3 in order to get FutureCAD to open a 2022 file in 2018? I'm not sure. 

As said above, you will get 'dumb geometry' with no feature history. 
https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-C942333F-D70D-4028-BB7D-3C0A8DA6AC86

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: James_Willo

Hi! Yes, the Future CAD workflow behaves similarly to other AnyCAD workflows. In order to reference 2022 ipt/iam file in 2018, the following conditions on the machine must be satisfied.

2018.3 or later update needs to be installed.

2021.3 or later update needs to be installed.

Then Inventor 2018 will be able to link to an ipt/iam file saved in 2022.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report