Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert "PL" parameter in PART NUMBER, STOCK NUMBER or DESCRIPTION for show in BOM

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
markGlthen
711 Views, 8 Replies

How to insert "PL" parameter in PART NUMBER, STOCK NUMBER or DESCRIPTION for show in BOM

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem to show length in PART NUMBER when I use Tube & Pipe environment.

I created a tube and curve to publish in my content center (read/write) and then I Crete them for use in Tube & Pipe.

If I use just content center to insert the tube that I create, the PART NUMBER show as "TUBE Ø 1" x 2478 mm". (2478 mm is the real length that I inserted in my assembly)

However, If I use the same tube in Tube & Pipe, in my BOM will show as "TUBE Ø 1" x 200 mm". (200 mm is the length that I used to create iPart to publish in my content center).

In content center editor, in field PART NUMBER I used the expretion:

"TUBO "&OD&" x "&PL

TUBO: simples text
OD: Parameter for Outside Diameter
PL: Parameter Custom to Pipe Length

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CGBenner
in reply to: markGlthen

@markGlthen 

Hi,... I know exactly what you are seeing.  I used to be a Tube & Piper.  When you Place from Content Center, it all works, but when you use T&P, it does not.  As of the current release this is not possible in T&P, (I think there are several Ideas on this).  What I did as a workaround, was to put my formula into a new column in the Family Table, and map it to an iproperty that I was not using for anything. (In my case I chose Cost Center).  Since T&P will not carry your formula from Part Number, this at least gets the correct string (based on your formula) onto the part somewhere.  Then, in your BOM editor you can simply Copy from Cost Center (or whatever you choose) and Paste into Part Number.  It's a workaround and an extra step, but for now at least.... it works.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 9
freesbee

If I understand you right this is quite easy: you can build iProperties basing them on other iProperties, so it is enough to export your parameter and this syntax should do the job:

4Forum.png

this assumes that parameters DOut and PL are exported.

Replace the family model template, and you will have exactly what you are asking.

(pay attention to custom Property format if you want to get a decent result)

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 4 of 9
CGBenner
in reply to: freesbee

@freesbee @markGlthen 

No need to replace family template.  Tube & Pipe part number formula is hard coded and will not export when part of a route.  Therefore, the technique I mentioned above is (for now) the only workaround I know of.  You can make these changes in the Content Center editor without any need to replace family template.  PLEASE NOTE:  this will not work on assemblies generated prior this change in the Family.  Older assemblies with Tube & Pipe will still need to be adjusted manually.  Sorry.

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 9
markGlthen
in reply to: CGBenner

Hi @CGBenner , thank you for replying me.
Are you recommend me put my formula ("TUBO "&OD&" x "&PL) in a column and map to cost center, alright?

Is it works if I map in description column?
I tried to do it, but the length of tube is showen the value fixed (200 mm).

Message 6 of 9
markGlthen
in reply to: freesbee

Hi @freesbee, thank you for replying.  
If I use this option and then I create iPart, the will iPart overwrite the function with fixed value.

Message 7 of 9
CGBenner

@markGlthen 

Try this string in your formula:

=TUBO <OD> x <PL>

Unfortunately this will also add the unit string into the result. As in: TUBO 150.000 mm x 1422.349 mm

To learn how to get these out I refer you to >>an article<<  I wrote several years ago.  It is written for Frame Generator but will work with Tube & Pipe also.

I would not use Description.  I would choose an iproperty that you are not using for anything.  

Chris Benner

Message 8 of 9
freesbee

@markGlthen wrote:

Hi @freesbee, thank you for replying.  
If I use this option and then I create iPart, the will iPart overwrite the function with fixed value.

no (even if in this case we are talking about the family template, not any iPart).

I have more or less 250.000 content center parts that are build the way I suggested, and I always get the value I want. You wrote that your families are your own, so why not to do it all the way down optimal?

As for the "unit string" problem that Christopher mentioned (correct, that is the default behavior) that is exactly why I wrote "pay attention to custom Property format if you want to get a decent result".

If you look at my StockNumber: there are no strange issues with unit strings and such minor cosmetic details (if I write it in parenthesis, it does not mean that it's not relevant 🤣).

_Overall.png

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! For iParts, the names are either pre-populated by the table or you use Excel functions to generate the names. The iProperty formula here does not apply to iPart members.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report