Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List Question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SteveFrey
410 Views, 2 Replies

Parts List Question

When I insert a parts list into a drawing I have a choice to select parts only or structured.  I never know what to select and I've always just selected parts only.  But recently I've been playing around with this and now am starting to see how this works.  It looks like which type you select initially stays that way but I could be wrong.

I'm trying to have certain parts show in the parts list and some not show.  I've been playing around with the BOM settings in the parts of the sub-assemblies so I can see what will show and what doesn't.  My assembly contains several sub-assemblies in which I only need to see certain things depending on the particular parts.  The reason for this is the parts I need to show are being sent to an outside vendor so the parts list is used as a packing list, too.  For instance, I have a piano hinge that's comprised of 3 parts but I only need to see one line item on the parts list that says what it is (Piano Hinge) and the length.  But I also have a pivot hinge made up of 20 parts where I only need to see 4 of them in the parts list.  I've set the 4 parts in question as Normal and the rest as Reference.  What I don't need to see is the Pivot Hinge as a line item, just the 4 components.  What is the best way to go about this?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
imajar
in reply to: SteveFrey

If you want to not see the assembly in the parts list and you do want to see the sub-components inside the assembly, then set the assembly to phantom in the BOM.

Capture.JPG

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SteveFrey

Hi Steve,

The more you use the BOM properties, the more you will understand how it works. For example, the piano hinge subassembly, I would tag it as "Purchased" or "Inseparable." Then the individual parts underneath will not show up in PartOnly View. It will remain one item.

"Phantom", as Aaron mentioned, is when you want to dissolve the subassembly. Essentially, the sub as a component does not appear in the BOM/PartsList. Only the individual parts under it are listed. "Reference" is to something if you don't want it to be counted. It can be entire subassembly (and its components within) or individual instances.

What is a bit confusing is how these BOM properties are controlled. At each assembly level, you can change any component instance BOM Structure Property between Reference and Default. It means that you can control the given component quantity by changing the property (Reference = discounted; Default = may be counted). Default here means the BOM Structure Property is from the iam/ipt file Doc settings. The default can be Normal, Purchased, Inseparable, Reference, or Phantom. For all instances of a part or a subassembly, the default BOM Structure Property is the one from Doc Settings -> BOM.

Many thanks!

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report