Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeffrey.s.barrero
5831 Views, 4 Replies

How to identify "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

Good morning

Is there a way to have Inventor suggest, point, highlight, etc, the "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

I keep trying to apply more dimensions, but I keep getting a "Adding this dimension will over-constrain the sketch. Choose Accept to create a driven dimension"; even if I accept the driven dimension, it still shows 2 dimensions needed.

11-16-2018 9-21-24 AM.jpg

Any advice to avoid running in to this issue will be greatly appreciate it, and if I have to completely change the my approach to sketching; will be happy to.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and wish you a great day

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jeffrey.s.barrero

Project the origin center point if it is not already.

Constrain a point on your sketch to that.

If all else fails, use the auto-dimension to help you figure out what is under-constrained.

Message 3 of 5

As @john.retzlaff suggested, the Automatic Dimension and Constraint command can be used.  The problem with this tool is that it will place dimensions poorly or give a solution you do not want.  I would recommend to only use this tool to give you a hint as to what dimensions are missing.  Watch the screencast, I try to explain it. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 5

Thank you so much, for your time and effort to answer my question. I have to say, that I am baffled of how much the features in this forum have evolve since 4 years ago; I also stumble my way thru and struggle getting around. I will make an effort now and familiarize my self, so that I may contribute back to the community as you fine gentlemen.

Thank you very much and wish you a great day.

Message 5 of 5

It may not need dimensions, as well as the previous suggestions & assuming your sketch is symmetrical, you could make the angled lines equal to each other. Same with the 2 vertical lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report