Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeffrey.s.barrero
6293 Views, 4 Replies

How to identify "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

Good morning

Is there a way to have Inventor suggest, point, highlight, etc, the "dimensions needed" to have a fully constrained sketch?

I keep trying to apply more dimensions, but I keep getting a "Adding this dimension will over-constrain the sketch. Choose Accept to create a driven dimension"; even if I accept the driven dimension, it still shows 2 dimensions needed.

11-16-2018 9-21-24 AM.jpg

Any advice to avoid running in to this issue will be greatly appreciate it, and if I have to completely change the my approach to sketching; will be happy to.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and wish you a great day

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jeffrey.s.barrero

Project the origin center point if it is not already.

Constrain a point on your sketch to that.

If all else fails, use the auto-dimension to help you figure out what is under-constrained.

Message 3 of 5

As @john.retzlaff suggested, the Automatic Dimension and Constraint command can be used.  The problem with this tool is that it will place dimensions poorly or give a solution you do not want.  I would recommend to only use this tool to give you a hint as to what dimensions are missing.  Watch the screencast, I try to explain it. 

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

Thank you so much, for your time and effort to answer my question. I have to say, that I am baffled of how much the features in this forum have evolve since 4 years ago; I also stumble my way thru and struggle getting around. I will make an effort now and familiarize my self, so that I may contribute back to the community as you fine gentlemen.

Thank you very much and wish you a great day.

Message 5 of 5

It may not need dimensions, as well as the previous suggestions & assuming your sketch is symmetrical, you could make the angled lines equal to each other. Same with the 2 vertical lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report