Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get parameter-driven part length to update locally in assembly and not effect part file?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cwentka
121 Views, 3 Replies

How to get parameter-driven part length to update locally in assembly and not effect part file?

I have a part whose length deforms under load, but ONLY when it is placed in the corresponding assembly. I made a quick iLogic rule to overwrite the dimension with the new deformed length at the assembly level, but it updates the part file and adjacent assemblies that also contain the part with said length, which ruins everything.

I think the solution is to create an iLogic rule that can recognize if the part is at the assembly or part level, and update the length accordingly. Any suggestions on how to do this, or other methods that I could try?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: cwentka

Hi

The part in an assembly is just a representation of the part file. There is a set of information about its occurrence, location and relationships, but this is not the model you understand in your philosophy.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe you would like to internalize a part. Inventor does not support such workflow. All parts are external. To make it exclusive, you need to make a copy of the part and name it differently. Then replace the existing part with the newly saved part. In that way, the new part will be completely independent from the old part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
blandb

Could you make it an ipart? Make an instances of the deformed shape you want and then use that instance of the part? Or use Model states as the primary being the normal part length, but then make an state of shorter?

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report