Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export .ifc assembly and retain part information and selectability

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
EFLAamo
2633 Views, 5 Replies

How to export .ifc assembly and retain part information and selectability

Hello.

I want to export .ifc file of an assembly that retains selectability of individual components/parts as well as relevant metadata (name, mass, surface area .etc).

Each time I export the assembly, it just becomes "one" element, shrinkwrap option or no. I've also tried authoring components within the assembly to see if they retain their properties in the assembly when exported but to no avail. Any tips would be most appreciated.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
imajar
in reply to: EFLAamo

I've had the same problem.  Inventor does the same thing for exporting revit family files.  The best workaround I have found is to export the inventor assembly to dwg, then use autocad architectural to export to .ifc.  But depending on what connections you want, or what properties you want to keep, I'm not sure how good this will work for you . . .

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 3 of 6
EFLAamo
in reply to: imajar

Thank you for your reply, this shortcoming of Inventor is inconvenient and as for BIM goes very hindering.

Message 4 of 6
imajar

Agreed.  Interoperatility with BIM (and even Revit) has been a nightmare for us over the past few years.  If I ever have to work with BIM software again for a future project, I will be thinking very seriously about switching software.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 5 of 6
ant
Participant

Hi, has this issue been resolved in 2023/2024?

Message 6 of 6
James_Willo

Hi, the current structures for RVT in Inventor 2023/24 are All one element, or top level elements. 

(authoring as mentioned in the first post is only for RFA which is why that doesn't make a difference. 

If you are interested in improving BIM/AEC workflows, please join the beta community where we are always seeking feedback to help us to improve the interoperability. 

feedback.autodesk.com

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report